Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

[BETA] Starcraft Team Fortress

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post May 30th, 2011, 6:46 am

Re: [BETA] Starcraft Team Fortress

I was rummaging through my STF files and discovered a few new, unreleased versions. Apparently, way back when, I even promised as much. :sweat:

Well, enough foreplay, enjoy!

Download STF 0066

Change Log
    1. Idle worker selection fixed.*
    2. Barricade removed.
    3. Influence ticker now always displayed.
    4. Influence rises by 10, from 20.
    5. Mineral Fields no longer invisible.
    6. Prices reduced:
      • Hub $600, from $750
      • Facilities $300, from $500
      • Sweatshop $100, from $200
      • Oil Pump $200, from $300
      • Territory Claim $100, from $200
      • Guard $75, from $100
      • Harrier $300, from $500
    7. Territory Claim now gives 10 supply, from 5.
    8. Territory Claim requires more room to build.
    9. Lancer's rocket slowed to half of previous acceleration.
    10. Lancer's rocket damage lowered to 18, from 20.
    11. Gunner's minigun damage raised to 6/8/10/12, from 5/6/8/12.
    12. Asher's flamethrower damage raised to 8, from 6. Splash raised to 10/10/10, from 5/5/5.
    13. Harrier's Sidewinder Missiles no longer deal splash damage.
    14. Ranger now has EMP Grenades (Feedback) instead of Concussion Grenades (Maelstrom).
    15. Gunner now has Suppression Fire (Ensnare) instead of Suppressive Fire (Disruption Web). Note: Ensnare is currently inversed, increasing movement speed. Best used on your own troops. This was only a test of an idea, so it will not remain with the Gunner in future versions.
* Idle Worker Selection fix: Works perfectly in singleplayer mode. However, selection data is apparently shared in a multiplayer game, so if you order an Engineer to move who was selected using IWS, you will desync from the game. At this point in development, we were working to isolate the multiplayer call, which is why this version of the mod was never released.
<<

bajadulce

Post June 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm

Always nice to see classic mods continually improved on. This mod is highly recommended as the previous comments can attest to. STF without question has to be the longest running "in progress" mod of all time? Wish more modders had the same commitment. So many really promising mods that just fizzled out. I remember seeing the links @ CCreations.org many years ago in its early development stages. Could be one of my first exposure to the Starcraft community/internetz.

I approve of the new updates, the faster starts, and the return of the single player Zerg AI. :) Tho the necessary minerals do take up some valuable real estate. I take it that the radius from building to mineral placement is something that is hardcoded? The resulting grid pattern from the required building spacing can get a bit puzzling at times (tetris comes to mind) especially when their are doodads, but it is a fantastic feature and very unique.

btw, the replays you posted at other site were very entertaining. You ought to consider including them in the STF package or maybe even start a replay database! Will be sure to save any replays of any new games I get to play. I did notice that the 2 replays you uploaded were played on Astral Balance and not one of the STF maps?

I realize this mod is intended for multiplayer, but it would be fun to stage a Single player replay contest in which users fight against a beefed up Zerg AI (or perhaps against a few of those aliens we saw in HLife. yummie). A French student by the name of Ashara made a fun calculator in which users input data from the victory screen. We coined the resulting value ERV (estimated replay value) for lulz. Just something to throw out to energize interest in the project (or a global host of projects for that matter). I have read much of the ambitious ideas concerning the other 2 races, but realize how much work this entails. Might be fun to hack up the Zerg in the meantime as an intermediate intermission. :)
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 10th, 2011, 3:59 am

Thank you for the kind comments, Baja! STF will be celebrating its 10th anniversary later this month.

Yes, the Resource Depot radius is hardcoded, and the offset is unknown. It starts from the collision dimensions, rather than the placement size, which makes it awkward to deal with.

I've been contemplating a solution to the visibility problem with placing territory buildings, and I think I'll try Creep. My original idea involved using creep to begin with, but the problem was that it didn't start growing until after the building was complete, meaning it'd be easy to queue up a bunch of, say, Sweatshops all in a row and creep couldn't do squat about it. By using both the Resource Depot radius and Creep as limiters, I should get the best of both worlds.

The STF maps are purely bonus content -- you don't have to play on them, as any map works just as well (unlike, say, Ad Astra). The maps were made for STF by fans back during the Bootcamp era, and were included so that their contributions would live on.

Replays are tricky, because they're always version-dependent. Even the smallest update, such as a damage tweak to a unit, will invalidate all existing replays. I may do a Mega Pack at some point, wherein all replays from every version are packaged together with those versions, so you can boot up and watch them all if inclined.

Heh, I've entertained notions of doing the Xen race, the Combine, even the Infected from Left 4 Dead. It's certainly a possibility, but not currently on the table.

Are there any custom Zerg AIs that you'd recommend, Baja?
<<

bajadulce

Post June 14th, 2011, 11:08 am

Hercanic wrote:Are there any custom Zerg AIs that you'd recommend, Baja?
I played a few games recently vs. Myk's 3.8 non-cheating (doesn't receive any free resources) Zerg and found it to be a fun but fair challenge. In an odd way the speed bonus from the traditional mining of the AI vs. the bonus attack of the modded units strikes a balance in terms of the AI not needing any additional support (free money).

Here is Myk's Zerg script btw. You can also use poiuy's BWAILauncher to inject other scripts for an easier or more insane challenge. Something like Mesk's Zapoc Zerg or anything similar would make for a good laugh, but prob not much of a challenge for most ppl. Some of the scripts in Racine Rebels would probably be for more advanced players.

Myk3.8_aiscript.zip
(17.44 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Previous

Return to Kickass!