Site Admin

Post June 18th, 2009, 2:37 pm

FireGraft Suggestions

(to be edited)
<<

bajadulce

Post June 30th, 2009, 12:50 am

Firegraft Suggestions

Well since it appears StormCoast Fortress Forums won't be coming back online anytime soon, both BKiller and DoA's forums look to be in limbo. HINT HINT! (time for a move?)

Anywho. so this looks like as good as any to start listing some things I've come across while working with the latest Fgraft. If I don't post them as I come across them, I'll forget them simple as that. Most of these things are probably already known and some of this is prob really trivial shit or user error. This is intended to be an ongoing list of things for anyone to report on. A moderator or myself can attempt to keep a running tab in the first post or some other more convenient place. I don't expect any response from this, just listing the facts.

Suggestions:
The ability to add future exe edits by end user.

From Hercanic: I've broken this up into two threads, one in Help! for bugs and the other here for suggestions.
<<

Whiplash

Post July 6th, 2009, 10:19 am

Re: FireGraft Suggestions

exe edits for 1.16.1
Creator of Ascension of Duran and Ascension of Duran: Dark Purposes.

http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcr ... k_purposes
<<

Hydrolisk

Post July 6th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Whiplash wrote:exe edits for 1.16.1

We really need this. I attribute the cause for so many mods to still be made for SCBWv1.15.1 to the above. Otherwise, we would probably be seeing more mods built for SCBWv1.16.1.
<<

AofST

Post July 6th, 2009, 7:13 pm

I would start modding for v1.16.1 anyway. It's going to have a lot more support now -- my GPTP plus Mauron and Baja's work (plus any work by DoA) is realyl going to make v1.16.1 THE version to mod for.
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

Corbo

Post July 6th, 2009, 10:18 pm

I don't know if you guys already knew this but last I heard DoA announced that he was not going to be working on FG anymore. Or even if he didn't announce it he did tell me that he probably wasn't :P

But sure, let's go ahead and make suggestions.
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

Mauron

Post July 6th, 2009, 10:51 pm

If he has stopped working on it, I hope he releases the source so someone else can pick it up.

As for 1.16.1 EXE Edits, it's possible to modify 1161.fgd in order to add them once the proper addresses are found.
<<

Corbo

Post July 6th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Mauron wrote:As for 1.16.1 EXE Edits, it's possible to modify 1161.fgd in order to add them once the proper addresses are found.

That.
All it is, the last time I checked is a text file with adresses on it. Just like almost anything else Firegraft adds on your mpq.
Besides, you could always just make a plugin that does whatever the exe edit did.

As for the source, I would normally say yes but there's really no one that would continue the job as good as DoA has, anyone that actually can is busy with their own projects.
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

BroodKiller

Post July 7th, 2009, 5:10 am

Corbo wrote:Besides, you could always just make a plugin that does whatever the exe edit did.

To be perfectly honest, you cannot do this is always. Although a lot can be done with plugins, some exe edits cannot be replicated (e.g. creep/larva spawn, nydus cannal restrictions and some more)
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

AofST

Post July 7th, 2009, 10:25 am

Well, I'm thinking all DoA is doing is NOPing some addresses for his EXE edits (I'm not sure, Mauron might need to confirm this). NOPing is WORD 0x90.
Support my new site:
<<

Mauron

Post July 7th, 2009, 10:55 am

Some EXE Edits are done by NOPing addresses. Others change a single byte, and others insert custom code.
<<

AofST

Post July 7th, 2009, 10:57 am

Thanks. I don't see why all of these can't be done by plugins then.
Support my new site:
<<

Fyrinite

Post July 28th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Just so there is a final answer, everything Exe Edits do can be done by plugins. The Exe Edit system was actually created because people didn't know how to write plugins back then.

And work is going slowly on it. Like, slower than snail slow, but it's going.

Any other suggestions?
~Fy
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post July 28th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Maybe this is already possible, but how about: EXE Edit Plugins. Don't laugh yet!

Basically, plugin writers can make a plugin module for FireGraft. It can be downloaded separately and added to a directory in FireGraft. When you boot up FG, the module will be present in a FG tab, and you can set values in the module like with EXE Edits. This would allow all the budding plugin writers to expand on FG for everyone else, building up a library of fun additions.

Another suggestion: Working with Poiuy_Qwert on cross-application hooks? In other words, agreed-upon terminology for ways FireGraft and PyMS can have jump buttons between each other.
<<

AofST

Post July 28th, 2009, 12:58 pm

EXE Edits are already in the new version of the GPTP.
Support my new site:
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 26th, 2009, 3:29 am

A small thing, but when you right-click on FireGraft in the taskbar there is no Move command. At one point I had dual monitors, now I don't, but FG still opened as if it was on my nonexistant second monitor. This makes it unselectable to move by mouse, and typically the solution for other windows is to right-click on the program in the taskbar, select Move, and use the arrow keys to adjust.

I did manage to solve the problem manually, however, by looking into the Firegraft.ini and editing the XLoc value.
<<

Fyrinite

Post August 26th, 2009, 11:07 am

Yeah, that's a problem with the GUI framework that I use, and there's not much I can really do about it. I looked into it a year or so ago, and couldn't come up with a valid solution.

DatEdit also has the same issue, jsyk.

Once again, I will look into what can be done to re-add the taskbar options, just incase I missed something last time.

EDIT - Okay, I *think* I found a solution that might work. If it does, I'll let you guys know.

EDIT 2 - Solution works for what I can tell. Took a while to get it all fitting together. But it works, and that's what matters.
~Fy
<<

IskatuMesk

Post September 3rd, 2009, 4:12 am

Support for windows 7 would be awesome
<<

KooKsTeR

Post September 3rd, 2009, 1:53 pm

do you have windows 7 already? if so can you tell me what you think of it
<<

Fyrinite

Post September 3rd, 2009, 2:49 pm

When/if I get a copy of Windows 7, I'll figure out why it isn't working.
~Fy
Next

Return to Discuss