Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

[DESIGN] Starbase

<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post January 24th, 2010, 3:15 pm

[DESIGN] Starbase

Howdy. The latest (and first!) mod from the studios of UnusedUpgrade60, Starbase, is unique. You have no mobile units. Yes, you heard me right. Not a one. How do you fight, you may ask? Simple. You build a base. Your base grows, and grows, and grows, until it reaches your enemy’s base, like a tank push. All right, class, let’s go over the Eco system first. Solar Arrays gather energy (gas) from anywhere on the map, which is used for building, firing LAZORZ, and recharging shields. Mining bases can mine from Subspace Rifts to collect Dark Matter, which is used only for building. There is a maximum amount of energy that can be gathered. This maximum is increased by batteries. Everything requires pylon aura, including pylons (energy relays). Let’s go over the units:

Solar Array: Gathers 1 gas every frame.

Battery: Increases gas max by 500.

Energy Relay: Pylon.

Miner: Mines from Subspace Rifts via a plugin.

Proton Cannon: Fighting unit. Can be upgraded to have longer range and higher damage.

Central Hub: Used to build.

This will be finished, but right now, it's still in the concepting stage. BTW, I need someone to do graphics for me.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post January 24th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: [DESIGN] Starbase

A very interesting idea. I like the spirit of it. Is the builder a floating building, or a weaponless worker? I do wonder how well combat will play out, and I imagine large maps would become overly protracted.

If Solar Arrays require another Solar Array, is your starting building a Solar Array?
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post January 24th, 2010, 4:33 pm

The builder will use comsat scans and plugins to detect what button set it has. So, it's a building.

You start out with an Energy Relay, your Central Hub, a Solar Array, and two Proton Cannons. You will start out with some Dark Matter do you can build Miners.

EDIT: So, that's what the tag should be? KK.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post January 24th, 2010, 5:00 pm

The builder will use comsat scans and plugins to detect what button set it has. So, it's a building.

We were talking about this IRL and I'd like to clarify a bit. The builder can basically build stuff at a range.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post January 24th, 2010, 7:12 pm

It doesn't sound like building placement will be very precise if using ComSat. What about Pylon field display? If that's not visible, it could make for some headaches. I wonder, what is the reason for a stationary builder aside from consistency?

What about having one omnipresent, invisible builder who is auto-hotkeyed? Think of it like C&C's build menu. So, to build, you hit the hotkey, which selects the invincible "worker", you select the building you want and where to place it, and the builder teleports/reverse-recalls/moves-super-fast over there and initiates construction. You could even use any construction method you want.

Another idea: Larva-Drones. Instead of an auto-hotkey, your Central Hub produces "larva" that can build like a Drone (sacrificing the larva). The "Select Larva" command would enable you to select them even if invisible, and you could EXE Edit Larva production to 1 and increase the respawn rate.
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post January 25th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right. I really didn't think of that aspect too much, I could just use a super-fast worker. :-}) Guess what I just invented? The Handlebar Mustache Smiley!
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post January 26th, 2010, 2:48 pm

Looks like I can't do this. All I have is Windows 7 which, according to Iskatu Mesk, won't work. That might be the first time someone's called Mesk by his full screen-name.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post January 26th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Are you assuming, or have you tried? I talked to Fyrinite in the past about what Mesk said, and Fyrinite said FireGraft does work on Windows 7 and that the problem was likely whatever old build Mesk was using.
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post January 27th, 2010, 3:32 pm

I am assuming. I will try, but I haven't yet, because Mesk says it doesn't work. I'll test it.
<<

UnusedUpgrade60

Post February 14th, 2010, 10:25 am

Turns out, it does work, but I have to use PyMPQ.

EDIT: I have decided to leave the modding community (Ha! Leave? Was I ever a part of it?) because I just don't enjoy modding. I like the creative aspect, and I like the challenges of iscript and plugins, but I simply don't enjoy the grunt work. It doesn't give enough of a reward. Also, modding is an extremely "nerdy," narrow focus. It puts me in a "bubble" with perhaps 20 other people. I don't want to limit myself to that. You may still see me around, and I may post a few ideas of mods to do, but don't expect me to be releasing any more mods. I might come back with SC II, but I doubt it. I'm passing Starbase off to TZ to finish.

Return to Discuss