Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Need unit ideas

<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 6th, 2009, 10:36 am

Need unit ideas

I recently had an idea for a mod. It won't be started for several months at least, but I want to get all the concepting done sooner rather than later. I am currently stuck for unit ideas.
Here are some details. » [show]
The mod is focused around mobile unit producers, called Summonships. Each player starts out with one and may not build any more, unless playing as the Old Ones. The races are as follows:

Old Ones: Focus on small numbers of powerful units. They may build a second class of Summonship, the City of Light, once they unlock their third and final tier. The City of Light builds all units belonging to said final tier. (More than one City of Light may be constructed.) Two Cities of Light may merge to form a Star (see below). Also, the Old Ones have a unit, the Warp Locus, which is permanently cloaked, immobile, and can cast Recall.
Defilers: The opposite of the Old Ones. They don't build units directly from their Summonship. Instead, they build a Hellish Rift, which then turns into other units.
Humans: Midway between the Old Ones and the Defilers. They have a zergy unit production system.

The economy system works like this: Every two seconds, you get ten Energy (minerals), plus one Energy for every Star (refinery/assim/extractor) you control. The Old Ones may create new Stars by merging two Cities of Light.

All units in the mod are starships, but it's not really a fleet mod because only high-tier units (and Summonships) may enter Nebulae. (All nonwalkable terrain is replaced by Nebula.)

I want each race to have 3 tiers of 3-5 units each, with an average of 4 units per tier. Any ideas? Gogogogogogogogogogogogogogog!
<<

Jack

Post November 6th, 2009, 11:33 am

Re: Need unit ideas

Finish your other projects first.
Leader of the Raccoon City Defence Force Clan
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 6th, 2009, 11:35 am

I am. As I said, I just want to get the concepting of this out of the way first to save time. Why does no one ever read my fucking posts?
<<

Hydrolisk

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:12 pm

We read all of your other posts stating that this project will be finished next week and that project will be finished tomorrow, but none of it ever actually happens. You'll never finish any of your projects and all of your posts will become lies if you don't produce hard evidence of work (mind you, these best be screenshots or something, since my experiences with testing your mods have been... Bad).

Now, here is an idea I recently came up with: a unit that can drain Shields by standing beside enemy units (or at least non-player units). Or, perhaps, a Shield generating unit, something like from FTS' mod but that it only affects a certain area around itself. A variation of the Shield-drainer is the Shield-breaker, a unit that causes the Shields of its current target to rapidly drain (or take extra damage from attacks). I would use a loop with a counter to time the Shield-draining ability (or a mathematical equation to take apart the 256-parts per shield at a rate that would equate to DPS). "Rapidly" might be something like 4SP every second. There might not even be a projectile -- this Shield-breaker unit might simply have a 0DMG attack that only drains the Shielding. And you know what would be really cool? If this unit had mediocre HP and SP upon creation, but can steal the SP of enemies rather than simply lowering it. You have the concept of a heavy tank here. Perhaps another loop that forces non-player units to attack it? That would be MADNESS TITAN.

Another idea: the Vulture and Spider Mine are used. When a Spider Mine is laid on the ground, it instantly dies and adds (x)SP to allied units' SP. And, if you feel like you can do it, you can make a list of units with their maximum HP and cause the Spider Mine to fully replenish units. I prefer using SP because it doesn't look quite as gay when you have too much of it.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 6th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Hydrolisk wrote:We read all of your other posts stating that this project will be finished next week and that project will be finished tomorrow, but none of it ever actually happens. You'll never finish any of your projects and all of your posts will become lies if you don't produce hard evidence of work (mind you, these best be screenshots or something, since my experiences with testing your mods have been... Bad).

The reason I never finish anything is because of a retarded mental disorder which has been recently been cured. It is now ridiculously easier to work on mods.

Now, here is an idea I recently came up with: a unit that can drain Shields by standing beside enemy units (or at least non-player units). Or, perhaps, a Shield generating unit, something like from FTS' mod but that it only affects a certain area around itself. A variation of the Shield-drainer is the Shield-breaker, a unit that causes the Shields of its current target to rapidly drain (or take extra damage from attacks). I would use a loop with a counter to time the Shield-draining ability (or a mathematical equation to take apart the 256-parts per shield at a rate that would equate to DPS). "Rapidly" might be something like 4SP every second. There might not even be a projectile -- this Shield-breaker unit might simply have a 0DMG attack that only drains the Shielding. And you know what would be really cool? If this unit had mediocre HP and SP upon creation, but can steal the SP of enemies rather than simply lowering it. You have the concept of a heavy tank here. Perhaps another loop that forces non-player units to attack it? That would be MADNESS TITAN.

You've got several good ideas there. :P

Another idea: the Vulture and Spider Mine are used. When a Spider Mine is laid on the ground, it instantly dies and adds (x)SP to allied units' SP. And, if you feel like you can do it, you can make a list of units with their maximum HP and cause the Spider Mine to fully replenish units. I prefer using SP because it doesn't look quite as gay when you have too much of it.

Good idea.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 12th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Here are some more units I thought of:

Undead Gateway: Defiler Tier 2 siege unit. Casts Recall. Permacloaked.
Maul: Defiler Tier 2 support unit. Has a bouncing attack that does Acid Spores.

Survey Ship: Human "Base Tier" special unit. Can Scan an area, revealing any Anomolies in the targetted area. Can Investigate Anomolies, giving Tech (gas), which is used to upgrade/research/unlock higher tiers. (How this works: Scanning an area casts Dark Swarm, which is EXE Edit-ed to produce a Mineral Field. The Survey Ships then mine the mineral field.)
Starbase: Human "Base Tier" special unit. Immobile. Survey Ships return minerals here.
Colony Ship: Human "Base Tier" special unit. Colonizes star systems.
Wasp: Human Tier 1 combat unit. Casts Irradiate for its normal attack. Can also cast Disruption Web.
Bombadier: Human Tier 1 siege unit. Light bomber.
Boarding Pod: Human Tier 2 support unit. Can board enemy ships, putting them under your control. One-use.
Trade Station: Human Tier 2 structure. Allows you to sell ships for resources. Also lets you convert gas into minerals.

Photon: Old One Tier One combat unit. Suicide attacker. This is the only form of combat unit the Old Ones have in Tier 1.
Photonic Channel: Old One tier 2 siege unit. Can build Photons.
Starmind: Old One Tier 3 support unit. Can cast the spell "Starlance", which can only be used on small units and instantly destroys the target.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post November 13th, 2009, 4:28 pm

ccol story bro

I especially like how you have explained "colonizes star systems."

Wasp sounds cool. Better balance it out properly, though. Boarding Pod sounds cool. I hate how players can make mineral fields.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 13th, 2009, 4:28 pm

I hate how players can make mineral fields.

Why? :O

Return to Discuss