Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

[CONCEPT] Drawing walls

<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 18th, 2009, 11:41 am

[CONCEPT] Drawing walls

Here's a little mini-mod idea I randomly thought of. All players start out with a single Shrine of the Magi, which creates units units. The three races are the same except for graphics. What makes the mod unique is that you can "draw" walls using your Shrine. How this works is that you cast Scanner Sweep (by right-clicking with your Shrine selected) where you would like the endpoints of the wall to be. Assuming you have enough mana to create the wall, it will spawn. (Longer walls take more mana, and mana regenerates over time.)

What do you guys think? Should I make the mod? Any changes you think I should make?
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 18th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Re: [CONCEPT] Drawing walls

I think the concept is interesting, but for good playability I think it would need special, arena-type maps, where you can spawn the critters and cast spells. Going base-building with this is a no-no, since there are many ways you can work the walls around.
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post August 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm

How are you going to spawn the walls?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 19th, 2009, 1:53 pm

BroodKiller wrote:I think the concept is interesting, but for good playability I think it would need special, arena-type maps, where you can spawn the critters and cast spells. Going base-building with this is a no-no, since there are many ways you can work the walls around.

My thinking was that you would have a very low supply count and access to a hero unit with several spells. Would that work?

Hydrolisk wrote:How are you going to spawn the walls?

You cast Scanner Sweep (by right-clicking) at the endpoints of the wall.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post August 19th, 2009, 8:32 pm

How are you going to make the actual wall though? I know you have figured out the endpoints, now what are you going to do about the actual wall/line segments?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 20th, 2009, 3:20 pm

It's pretty simple. I'll center a location at each of the endpoints and use a plugin to center a location at each point on the line. Then, I'll spawn a unit at each location via trigger. (I know this means that really long walls (more than 256 tiles long) will glitch up, but you won't be able to spawn a wall that long anyway because spawning walls takes mana, and a wall that long will take much more than the maximum mana.)

Oh, I'm thinking of making there be three units (worker, a melee combat unit, and a spellcaster) and two buildings (town hall [which can only be built on geysers] + shrine). I'll do this unless anyone has any objections.iI

Return to Discuss