Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

New? Introduce yourself here!

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 6th, 2009, 8:41 pm

New? Introduce yourself here!

Hello, I am Hercanic, your friendly neighborhood administrator and founder of Modcrafters. I began modding Starcraft back in 2001, and my first claim to fame was a little mod called Starcraft Team Fortress, or STF for short. Back in those days, the premier place for a modder to learn, ask for help, and earn their place amongst peers was Camelot Systems. Otherwise known as CamSys, the staff was comprised of the very people who wrote the first trailblazing modding tools that set the standard for the tools to come. Not being a programmer myself, without these tools, albiet plagued with numerous bugs and corruption landmines, I would never have been able to produce my mod, and all that you see here would never have existed. Suffice it to say, I owe a lot to the efforts of those individuals, and give them a deep, if unheard, thanks.

On CamSys, my mod, STF, earned its first notoriety with simple screenshots of the Pyro unit setting units on fire. At the time, no one had done anything like this, and many were instantly fascinated to know how I accomplished such a feat. I attracted the interest of a humble French artist going by the alias JackBlack. A partnership was born, and with him STF progressed beyond a simple test mod.

Yes, I actually began STF just to learn. Nothing of what it is now was originally planned. I had aspirations for a far more elaborate mod, but knew I needed to understand the capabilities and limitations of Starcraft modding. On a whim, I decided to try recreating the classes of a game I had been playing recently over LAN at school, Team Fortress Classic. I wanted to organize these units, and the add-on system was born. At that point, I realized I had something interesting. The positive feedback on CamSys encouraged me to further develop my ideas, and I planned along the kind of game I would like to play. I noted I didn't like how every new game of Starcraft required the same repetitive startup or the same predictable unit matchups in the beginning. I wanted something faster, simpler, and more varied from the start. My mod was based off a First-Person Shooter, so I wanted to capture that same frantic adrenaline-rush. These precepts became my guiding goals for all my design decisions henceforth.

I showed off my screenshots and JackBlack's model renders at Infoceptor, CampaignCreations, and a few other community sites. People were liking what they saw, and the gameplay ideas intruiged them. I received many hosting offers, but eventually decided to make CampaignCreations my home. They were quite generous, and allowed me to carve out my own niche website for STF. From there, I started up my own STF community forum that would be known as Bootcamp.

(still writing, to be edited...)
<<

Hydrolisk

Post June 17th, 2009, 3:13 pm

[INTRO] Hydrolisk

'Tis I, New-/Hydrolisk, from SEN. I wholly support ModCrafters and I think it will be LIKE ___ IN A BOX.
BTW: Does MC have a set of rules somewhere? I can't find it. I forgot to read the thing during registration, too.

Now, on to a more serious note.

I pledge my allegiance to ModCrafters. What does that mean? We shall wait and see.
Very recently (day before yesterday), the laptop which stored all of my up-to-date StarCraft modding files and programs was formatted. I lost two mods I was working on, both of which had epic ideas in the works for them. Thus, I closed shop for both mods permanently. Being the pissy type of person I am, I also killed off an old modding project that was supposed to present three or four highly conservative races/factions, with a tactical background and highly focused races and units.
Now, I plan to start another mod, hopefully with the aid of TassadarZeratul. That is all.

Blessings to ModCrafters -- hurrah.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
I hope to contribute to this community/forum/whatever the Hell you wish to call it.
<<

Whiplash

Post June 18th, 2009, 12:11 pm

[INTRO] Whiplash

Hey all I'm Whiplash, I mod in a sense I suppose, by creating custom campaigns for starcraft. That alone requires a decent amount of modding so I guess if its cool I'll post here from time to time ;)
Creator of Ascension of Duran and Ascension of Duran: Dark Purposes.

http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcr ... k_purposes
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 18th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Hello, Hydrolisk and Whiplash!

Dear Hydrolisk and Whiplash:
Welcome! I'm glad to see you've both joined our humble little community. =o)

Dear Whiplash:
Campaigns are probably one of the most ideal environments to create a mod for. Multiplayer mods depend largely on other people having the mod to play against, or at least a strong AI. A campaign, however, focuses on delivering a single-player experience, thereby sidestepping the entire multiplayer issue. Single-player mods can do a number of things that multiplayer mods cannot do, even with plugins, so you may learn a thing or two here that can be applied to your work.

Basically, a limitation with multiplayer mods is that data changes have to affect all players. This is the reason, for instance, that in STF the Influence price change is global. If you only have one player to worry about, you could alter just about any data in memory with a plugin. As an example, a true leveling system without using up more than a single unit would definitely be possible.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post June 30th, 2009, 7:36 am

Re: New? Introduce yourself here!

Greetings. I am TassadarZeratul, if you couldn't tell. I'm a fairly new modder, but I think I have some interesting concepts planned. My biggest inspirations have been Hercanic (whose mod StarCraft Team Fortress gave me the idea that mods can be more than just edited tech trees and new units), and poiuy_qwert, AofST, and DiscipleOfAdun, who introduced me to plugins.

My current projects are Code: Xanadu (with ForTheSwarm), which features form of teleportation, and an unnamed project with Polaris and New-/Hydrolisk. Also, I currently have two mods in the planning stages: Heavy Industry, which features three unique economy systems (one for each race), and Diplomacy After Apocalypse, which features eight (!!!) resources. I plan to eventually get around to finishing BioPhysics once I get better at plugins.

My strengths are iscript, where I have developed some new concepts such as a method for creating another Siege Tank using only iscript (and possibly orders.dat, depending on a few factors), and plugins, which I am decent at using.
<<

Voyager

Post June 30th, 2009, 9:17 am

I am Voy and I have caught all of the Pokemon.
(1:46:41 PM) STF Hercanic: This is Starcraft. There *is* no understanding it, only exhausted acceptance.
<<

Polaris

Post June 30th, 2009, 10:31 am

I am Polaris and I'm only here because Voyager is.
<<

BroodKiller

Post June 30th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Voyager wrote:I am Voy and I have caught all of the Pokemon.

It's a success of its own merit that you crawled out of your nice warm cave to visit this place ;)

Oh, and I'm BroodKiller, aka BK, a tool programmer for SC. Yup, I'm one of these nerds that do the coding stuff. And I like to help people create wonderful things with Starcraft that I could never even imagine myself :)
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

FaRTy1billion

Post June 30th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Hi. I'm FaRTy.
I code unfinished programs. ;o I think I've finished like 2...
<<

IskatuMesk

Post June 30th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I'm IskatuMesk. I've been modded Starcraft since 1999 and with Armageddon Onslaught's recent release I am totally retired from Starcraft modding.

I specialized in creating Total Conversions. I only call a mod a total conversion when it covers all aspects of game modification, including voice acting, music, sounds, AI, and other attributes. All of my mods have always been totally single player compatible and have ranged from the very first fleet mods back in 2000 to the proof of concepts such as Armageddon Onslaught.

Through modding I met my only real-life friend, HKS, back in 2001ish when he signed on to do wireframes. Fun fact - he's yet to make a single wireframe.

My mods all had extremely short production lives as I tend to work extremely fast compared to other people. However, the offhand of this is that because of schizophrenia I would burn out and lose motivation equally fast.

I am most well-known for my 2003 conversion MFTGATRL, my 2004 fleet mod ITAS, and Armageddon Onslaught, but I've produced over a dozen total conversions over the years. Most of them were lost in the D drive crash some years ago.

In addition to starcraft I've modded a variety of other games, including Homeworld 2, Supreme Commander, and Age of Wonders 2.
<<

AofST

Post June 30th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I'm AofST, and I never fini...
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

Corbo

Post June 30th, 2009, 9:47 pm

How are you gentlemen,
All your base are belong to Corbo.
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

KooKsTeR

Post July 1st, 2009, 11:46 am

I'm KooKsTeR. I like to do GRP work.
<<

MidnightPariah

Post July 7th, 2009, 12:41 am

I'm MidnightPariah! I collect dolls and like to kill zombies!!
<<

Excalibur

Post July 7th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I am Excalibur. I bash kits harder than people bash my mods. :P
//Excalibur
<<

Mauron

Post July 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I'm Mauron. I've finally seriously joined the StarCraft modding community after lurking now and then since the beginning of time (or maybe just the release of StarGraft).

I've focused mostly on plugins and adding EXE Edits to FireGraft, but I have an interest in making my own mod in the future.
<<

LordAgamemnon

Post July 13th, 2009, 8:05 pm

I'm Lord Agamemnon. I'm somewhat of an old fogey around these parts in this day and age. Why back in the day, before you durned kids started walking on my lawn, I made me some mods that the folks down at that thar tavern jawed 'bout, like Project Miranda and Ad Astras.

OK, enough of that. I'm probably not going to be making much of anything any more, but I'm willing to answer questions about anything except plugins, about which I know next to nothing. You kids these days and your newfangled Babbage machine contraptions...
But really, what's it all about, when you get right down to it?
<<

Voyager

Post July 13th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Why hello there old chap.
(1:46:41 PM) STF Hercanic: This is Starcraft. There *is* no understanding it, only exhausted acceptance.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post July 13th, 2009, 11:03 pm

You know, I'm really liking the string of uninterrupted introductions. Welcome threads often tend to go ignored because there's a lot of "Welcome!" replies that gum up the flow. It can be nice when you're new to feel recognized and to interact with other members, but I'm considering having this thread only be for introduction posts and clearing out any "oh hai" responses. (Nothing against your reply, Voy, I'd already been considering this.)
<<

Jack

Post July 17th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Hey, I'm Jack[RCDF, aka zany_001. I've been interested in mods for a year or so now, although i haven't made anything major or releasable. If/when I start proper modding, I will probablx be focussing on graphics, maybe teaming up with someone else.
Leader of the Raccoon City Defence Force Clan
Next

Return to What's up?