Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Biophysics: The Shattered Universe

<<

TassadarZeratul

Post October 22nd, 2009, 6:35 pm

Biophysics: The Shattered Universe

Biophysics: The Shattered Universe is an RTS game currently under development by me. (NOT AN SC MOD, A STANDALONE GAME.) It features organic starships, which you can morph in various ways to create new types of ships. There are only two basic unit types: Overcruisers (unit production) and Warships (combat units). (Only Warships may be morphed.)

Morphing works as follows: You select the ship you want to morph, then select the morph you want to apply. Morphs come in four types: Weapons, Carapace, Expansions, and Specials. Weapons morphs give the ship another weapon, Carapace upgrades cause the ship to take less damage from each attack, and Expansion morphs allow the ship to equip more morphs. Expansion morphs have the secondary effect of raising the ship's HP and HP regeneration. Special morphs give the ship special abilities. Weapons morphs may then be morphed as well: You can give them more range, more damage, or a faster rate-of-fire. Each morph will visibly change the ship: Each time you morph a ship, the upgrade will rapidly grow out from a random point on the ship. (Well, not exactly "random", as that would sometimes lead to morphs colliding with each other or with the hull. >.> But you get the idea.)

The economy system works as follows: neutral Genesis Station units are placed on the map by the map-maker. They will spawn Biomatter Chunks over time. A Warship equipped with a Harvester morph may mine a Biomatter Chunk, giving you extra Biomatter. (Biomatter is the only resource in the game.) You also have a small timed Biomatter income, but most of your resources will come from mining.

I will, of course, take advice on any aspect of the game.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post October 27th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Re: Biophysics: The Shattered Universe

How will you be producing this as a standalone game? Will you be using a game engine like Dark Basic, Torque, OGRE, or even Flash?

Starcraft modding definitely has its limitations, which can cut back on a lot of creative ideas, but developing a standalone game will take quite a bit of work to get it up to snuff. On paper, a concept can seem really cool, but in play it could turn out to be no fun at all. I would recommend prototyping your gameplay ideas thoroughly before committing to that amount of work. That's where SC modding can be very helpful.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post October 27th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Re: Biophysics: The Shattered Universe

I'm creating it from scratch in C++. I am using OpenGL for graphics but no other external libraries (except probably some networking library).

As for prototyping it in SC: That would probably take longer than just coding it from scratch. :P

Return to What's up?