Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

BlizzCon '09

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 20th, 2009, 11:59 am

BlizzCon '09

Tomorrow it begins, and today I'm heading out to California to attend.

Not sure if I'll have internet during my stay, so I might be absent until Sunday.
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 21st, 2009, 2:10 am

Re: BlizzCon '09

Have a good time, Herc!
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

poiuy qwert

Post August 21st, 2009, 10:06 am

BroodKiller wrote:Have a good time, Herc!

And steal SC2 for us!
This was generated by a program of mine that had a bug. I thought it was pretty crazy.
BroodWarAI.com (Forums) | PyMS (Forums) | LocUnlock
<<

KooKsTeR

Post August 21st, 2009, 2:54 pm

poiuy qwert wrote:

And steal SC2 for us!

Agreed!
<<

Hydrolisk

Post August 21st, 2009, 4:46 pm

KooKsTeR wrote:
poiuy qwert wrote:

And steal SC2 for us!

Agreed!

And tell us all about it!
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 23rd, 2009, 9:39 pm

Back!

BlizzCon was, in a word, awesome!

I typed up a huge post, then accidentally brushed against the Back button of my mouse and lost it all. =o[

There's a lot of info floating around on the internet anyway, so I'll save a long-winded explanation for later. In the meantime, any specific questions?
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 24th, 2009, 3:25 am

How did playing the game feel?
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 24th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Starcraft 2 plays smoothly. There are a lot of UI improvements that you no longer have to fight against or worry about. Terran add-ons, for instance, place immediately upon clicking the button, instead of fussing with its placement. You can still pick a placement, though, if the building is lifted off. If you make a mistake, you can salvage an add-on for its full resource value.

I like that Zerg larva now will mutate once per button click instead of all at once, as it makes building diverse units far simpler.

I played Protoss, but didn't get around to trying the Warp Gate, but I hear from DarkOMEN that it completely changes the Protoss for the better. The W hotkey is reserved at all times for selecting every Warp Gate.

Placing buildings feels more intuitive, too, with green tiles giving a better sense of a building's size. Rally Point auto-mining is a great relief from the chore of babysitting workers (a good game focuses on fighting another player, not an interface).

Terran Mules create an interesting choice between an economic advantage or saving for Scanner Sweeps.
<<

IskatuMesk

Post August 24th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Hercanic wrote:
I typed up a huge post, then accidentally brushed against the Back button of my mouse and lost it all. =o[

Firefox saves the post information, so whenever my talk button on the mouse decides to freak out and back me I can recover instantly.

What was diablo 3 like?
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 24th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Like Diablo 2, but a bit faster paced and 3D.

The demo started out at about lvl6 with several pre-selected skills. In the 20 minutes allotted, you could get about one level to try out another skill.

The Barbarian had a war shout that boosted himself and allies, a stun "nova", and some kinda special melee attack. I didn't have a lot of time to read over every bit of text. Instead of mana, he had a Rage system that built up as you attacked. Where the mana orb would normally be on the GUI, there were three molten-looking spheres that seemed to act as tiers for your Rage. When one of these orbs became filled, it seemed you wouldn't lose that Rage over time, locked in and saved for the next encounter. When I leveled, I didn't have much time to read all the other skills, so I quickly invested in a Sprint manuever since most of the other skills looked to be passive. The ability was pretty much like it sounds. Compared to the other classes, I found the Barbarian to kill the slowest and fewest enemies, and often in need of healing.

The Monk had a shield that lasted only a few seconds, a blind "nova", a Dragonball Z-inspired disappear-and-punch-everything-in-the-area special attack, and a normal attack (cost no energy) that caused the monster to gib and explode on death, dealing damage to any nearby monsters. My fiancee and I ended up both playing Monk in the same game, and our combined attacks often ended up with a big group of monsters all simultaneously exploding as blood. There was another special attack you could switch in that basically refreshed debuff durations or somesuch but only dealt 50% damage. When I leveled, I invested in a "1000 Palm Attacks" or some name like that. It had three stages that you would activate by using the skill repeatedly in successive order. The first was a short dash, second was a bunch of punches, and the third finishing move emited a spherical glowy shockwave that pushed everything back.

The Wizard had a galaxy-looking spiral projectile spell, a freeze "nova", and a mirror image spell. I lost the least amount of health as this class, if only because I could hang back and spam the spiral projectile, distract with the mirror image, and freeze enemies in place when needed. I played this class first, and so didn't try investing my skill point in anything.

The Witch Doctor has had a lot of coverage in the past, so no surprises here. He had the firebomb spell, fear, and could summon two undead dog things and spiders. I actually found myself most effective with this class, though often out of mana after spamming firebomb while my pets distracted. I invested my skill point into Locust, which with only 1 point didn't feel very effective.
<<

IskatuMesk

Post August 25th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Ah yes, I remember hearing about the Barbarian's rage system. It seems like that the teams on d3 and WoW are exchanging concepts, as a lot of the new stuff on Cataclysm's talent system and such seemed to be derived from the D3 equivalent.

Sounds interesting. I loved the first two diablos.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 27th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Oh, one little feature that's like, "it's about time", is gold pickup. If you run over it, you automatically acquire them.

Inventory is back to the grid system of past games. If I remember right, it was six or seven grids high. Potions stack.

You have a skill belt now, with 1-5 being for skills instead of only for potions. You also have a left and right click slot, and a Tab slot. The tab slot is a little weird, and tripped me up a couple of times. Basically, when you click it, you don't use the spell like 1-5. Rather, it switches with your right-click ability.
<<

KooKsTeR

Post August 28th, 2009, 1:32 pm

The W hotkey is reserved at all times for selecting every Warp Gate.

DROOLS!!!

Return to What's up?