Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Status to official release

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 7th, 2009, 6:27 am

Status to official release

For those of you just joining us, welcome to Modcrafters!

Week 1
  1. Jun 3: Announced intentions on SEN.
  2. Jun 4: Received positive feedback from the community. Registered domain.
  3. Jun 5: Made logo.
  4. Jun 6: Set up forum and skin.
  5. Jun 7: Updated forum to latest version. Continuing work on forum layout. Researching shoutbox options and other potential forum mods, though will likely wait on implementation until community needs can be better established.
  6. Jun 8: Further forum and module research.
  7. Jun 9: Implementation of many new BBcodes.

Week 2
  8. Jun 10: Attempt to update wiki thwarted. Mod Trailer thread started.
  9. Jun 11: Embarked on a search for replacement smileys. First set established, but later removed due to size.
  10. Jun 12: New smiley set found, and partially added for feedback.
  11. Jun 13: Wiki updated, but was broken somehow by the process. Reinstalled fresh with the new release. Wiki finally working at latest version. Extension installed allowing Wiki to use the user database of the forum. Starcraft: Unravelled transferred to the Modcrafter wiki, with permission from Broodkiller and DiscipleofAdun.
  12. Jun 14: Wiki logo made. Researching wiki extensions to add.
  13. Jun 15: Many new wiki extensions added, such as a WYSIWYG editor, syntax highlighter, tree menus, internal page tabs, and breadcrumbs. New forum logo made (not pixellated, a bit shinier). Poiuy_Qwert has coded a new syntax highligher script for Iscript.
  14. Jun 16: Front page now has buttons, demonstrating the site's intended categories. AI syntax highlighting script made for the wiki, supporting both PyAI and SCAIEdit code.

Week 3
  15. Jun 17: New forum icons made!
  16. Jun 18: Internet has been down for 28 hours. Front page buttons resized for better balance, and CREATE renamed to CRAFT for further visual balance and a tie-in to our namesake. Wiki's Iscript, PyAI, and SCAIEdit syntax highlighting has been updated, adding missing things and fixing duplicates. A new highlighter script has also been made for triggers (PyTRG).
  17. Jun 19: Design and coding for the real front page has started. New Glossary wiki extension added. Acronyms added to the Glossary page will function like an automated tip BBcode on all wiki pages. This handy tool allows us the convenience of technical terms without losing the unfamiliar, without needing to hyperlink everything to new pages. Because it's automated, you don't even have to think about it while writing your articles or fumble with clumsy code.
  18. Jun 20: Web development continues. New Gallery extension added to the wiki. This lets you create a slideshow of multiple images, smoothly transitioning to the next image either by user interaction or timed automation. There is currently a bug where anything after a gallery is not displayed, so right now it can only be used at the bottom of a page. Looking into fixing this problem.
  19. Jun 21: Web development continues.
  20. Jun 22: Layout finalized. Code cleanup and PHP backend programming started.
  21. Jun 23: Website news system is up!

Week 4
  22. Jun 24: Website's sub-tabs now highlight when moused-over. Backend coding done to support custom BBcodes in news posts.
  23. Jun 25: Topic title of last post now displayed on forum index.
  24. Jun 26: Talks with BWAI. Researched chat software
  25. Jun 27: Researched chat software
  26. Jun 28: Installed chat software, modified to use forum usernames
  27. Jun 29: Planned to skin the chat and integrate into forum, but two critical bugs discovered in chat software. Development terminated.
  28. Jun 30: Researched wiki infoboxes.

Week 5
  29. Jul 1: Starcraft Team Fortress wiki page made as testbed for mod database.
  30. Jul 2:
  31. Jul 3:
  32. Jul 4: Working on wiki infoboxes. Also looking into PJIRC as a possible webchat client.
  33. Jul 5: An "[ANSWERED]" forum has been added to the "How to? Can you?" forum.
  34. Jul 6:
  35. Jul 7:

Week 6
  36. Jul 8:
  37. Jul 9:
  38. Jul 10: Wiki infoboxes are working.
  39. Jul 11:
  40. Jul 12:
  41. Jul 13:
  42. Jul 14:

Week 7
  43. Jul 15:
  44. Jul 16:
  45. Jul 17:
  46. Jul 18:
  47. Jul 19:
  48. Jul 20:
  49. Jul 21:

Week 8
  50. Jul 22:
  51. Jul 23:
  52. Jul 24:
  53. Jul 25:
  54. Jul 26:
  55. Jul 27:
  56. Jul 28:

Week 9
  57. Jul 29:
  58. Jul 30:
  59. Jul 31:
<<

TriggRHappE

Post June 7th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: Status to official release

Hope it doesn't take too long to implement a shoutbox. :)
<<

Corbo

Post June 7th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Hai gais liek i r heer k?

Good job Hercanic, you're probably one of the few people that I've met that sets a timeline and acomplishes it :P
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

bajadulce

Post June 7th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Just wanted to say the site looks great. I'll try to add more productive feedback/suggestions as things evolve. Definitely a "Dark" skin is the popular choice among kids shacked up in their caves playing video games! :)

The captcha thing is a bitch for old guys like me, but I managed to figure it out after the 4th attempt.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 7th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Heh, sorry, is the CAPTCHA set a little too high on difficulty? It's a little tricky to find that sweet-spot. Good thing you got it on your fourth, because after 5 attempts the board is set to halt your sign-up for the session.

I tend to favor light text on a dark background because, when dealing with monitors that project light, it's easier on the eyes to see stars than dark spots on the sun.
<<

Corbo

Post June 7th, 2009, 3:15 pm

bajadulce wrote:The captcha thing is a bitch for old guys like me, but I managed to figure it out after the 4th attempt.

I agree, the captch was a bit hard to me too, got it on my 4th attempt too. Refreshed once too, I think.

And also, the smileys are bothering me cause of the little white pixels they've got
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 7th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Okay, I increased the spacing between background lines and disabled the 3D noise objects.
<<

Woaz

Post June 7th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Excellent progress so far. Best of luck Herc.
<<

AofST

Post June 7th, 2009, 10:09 pm

The confirmation code was ridiculous to get correct. Lower the difficulty :P.
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

Debardus

Post June 8th, 2009, 5:36 am

Pfft. I created an account just to see this horrible evil confirmation code and it was easy :/
<<

TriggRHappE

Post June 8th, 2009, 2:31 pm

I got it on my first try np when I registered.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 9th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Could be luck of the draw, as some CAPTCHA images are much clearer than others, while still others can come out unreadable due to color.

I've updated the first post with Day 6 and 7.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 10th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Day 8 (Jun 10): Attempted to update the wiki to the latest version of MediaWiki. Found out I need access to a command line to run the update.php. Very weird. The server I'm on doesn't have one, so I'd have to go to the trouble of installing another piece of software just for a command line. Instead, I think I'll revert back to the previous version file-wise and install Subversion. MediaWiki uses the program to update itself much more easily, so it'll allow me to keep our wiki at the latest release with far more easily.

Did a number of community interactions, both here and at SEN. Surprisingly, that can eat up a lot of time. The only things worth noting, however, is the Mod Trailer thread and the new YouTube BBcode. I also made an Caption code that floats on the right, which you can see in my attempt at prettying up my STF thread in Kickass.

I don't feel I accomplished much today. My personal goal is to get something done each and every day, so I don't succumb to procrastination. As long as I keep pushing myself, things will get done. I value the efforts of everyone here who have been making new topics to discuss and replying to threads. Every bit of activity is a contribution toward our success, so I appreciate your support. Thank you. =o)
<<

Lavarinth

Post June 11th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hey, you aint paying for this server, I am, quit yer bitchin'!

<3
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 11th, 2009, 3:55 pm

No you ain't, cheapskate! =oP
<<

Lavarinth

Post June 11th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Hey, hey, let's not bring that up.
<<

Corbo

Post June 11th, 2009, 8:28 pm

K there's so obviously something weird happening here :shifty:
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 12th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Day 9 (Jun 11): Began the frivious quest of acquiring new emoticons in earnest. Set up an initial arrangement.

Day 10 (Jun 12): I realized that the custom dimensions I can define only apply to the list view of the smilies and not how they'll appear when posted. The smilies I originally choose were 80x80 PNGs of a nice quality, but they did not retain their readability below half size. I could manually shrink them, but 40x40 is still unreasonably large if used mid-sentence, causing an atrocious thrashing of type leading. Luckily, I found a charming collection of much smaller smilies. Currently organizing them. (I understand emoticons are not a priority, but for the interim I wanted to take on a fun task)

Tonight, I also went out with my fiancee to see Repo! with a live pantomime ensemble.
<<

AofST

Post June 12th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Hercanic wrote:Tonight, I also went out with my fiancee to see Repo! with a live pantomime ensemble.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. You could have been working on the site during that time instead of being social. :P
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

TriggRHappE

Post June 13th, 2009, 12:48 am

Agreed! Who do you think you are, having a life and such?
Next

Return to News