Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Wiki up

<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 13th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Wiki up

Our wiki is now up! To start us off, I have obtained permission from Broodkiller and DiscipleofAdun to move Starcraft: Unravelled (SCU) to Modcrafters. All significant pages have now been exported and imported to our wiki.

Purpose
The website frontend will utilize the wiki for its core data, fetching from certain protected pages. These pages will in turn fetch from different categories to compile sortable databases. Pages hooked to these categories will use specialized templates to package the data used by the tables. The website will present the information retrieved seamlessly and simply.

Deeper down the rabbit hole, the wiki will endlessly expand to consume all knowledge of Starcraft modding. Proper organization will be paramount, with the goal to deliver this information clearly and concisely without overwhelming the view with lists of links or walls of text. We want practical, user-friendly organization.

Editing
Currently, editing is restricted to a select few. Our trial run shall being with the following users, with more to be added as time goes on: BroodKiller, Voyager, poiuy_qwert, Corbo, bajadulce, A_of_s_t, Polaris. These people have been selected based on their past contributions toward teaching and promoting modding.

Logging In
You log in with the same username and password as your forum account. The wiki now refers to the forum's user database instead of using its own. A member must belong to a special usergroup in order to log into the wiki, however. This usergroup is titled "Scribes", and serves as a handy membership control. Right now, the group is closed, meaning I must manually add anyone wishing to contribute to the wiki, but later on I can set it to "Request" (and therefore will be able to take in requests to join), or "Open" (allowing anyone to join freely).

In case you haven't noticed, or if lurking as a guest, there is a Wiki subforum here in News that will redirect you to the wiki. Only registered viewers are set to see this, however. The full web address is www.modcrafters.com/wiki.
<<

FlyingHat

Post June 13th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Re: Wiki up

*heartattack*
ImageImageImage
<<

Voyager

Post June 14th, 2009, 8:58 am

This is fantastic! I'll see about porting over some of the relevant Maplantis Wiki articles if they haven't been already.
(1:46:41 PM) STF Hercanic: This is Starcraft. There *is* no understanding it, only exhausted acceptance.
<<

Polaris

Post June 14th, 2009, 9:40 am

Awesome! I'll be sure to write a few short articles/tutorials from time to time for it.
<<

BiOAtK

Post June 14th, 2009, 11:02 am

Can I have edit status? 3:
<<

AofST

Post June 14th, 2009, 1:45 pm

lul, I'm appreciated :D .

Hmm... I can't log in? "Login error You have not specified a valid user name."
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

poiuy qwert

Post June 14th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Mediawiki has some username limitations (in your case the underscores are not allowed), you'll need to wait for Hercanic to go in and change the account to something "valid".
Last edited by poiuy qwert on June 24th, 2009, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 14th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Doh, I meant to look over everyone's names who have already registered. I have since set registration to Alphanumeric Only, so that it won't cause conflicts with the Wiki. A_of_s_t, I'm going to change your name to AofST if that's all right. I could also do A of ST. You may PM me if you want something different.

TriggR_HappE, I'll need to make a change on your name, too.

BiOAtK wrote:Can I have edit status? 3:

Um, I don't know who you are. =o\ New, or just a different alias?
<<

FaRTy1billion

Post June 14th, 2009, 5:16 pm

I remember contributing to some of those wiki articles ... I don't know if I'd add anything unless I was specifically asked to or was just reading through articles and find errors.

I can add (almost) any modding file format...
<<

TriggRHappE

Post June 14th, 2009, 9:29 pm

TriggR_HappE, I'll need to make a change on your name, too.

TriggRHappE is fine for me :)
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 14th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Done.
<<

AofST

Post June 14th, 2009, 9:56 pm

I'm starting pages that deal with plugins :D
Support my new site:
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 14th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Awesome!

I've enabled image uploading. Currently, I'm looking through available extentions that we could use. If anyone has any suggestions, link it.
<<

AofST

Post June 14th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Upload a help file Hercanic... I have no idea how to use wiki code (and the wiki help page isn't very... helpful). I mainly just need to know how to do a code box.
Support my new site:
<<

Corbo

Post June 14th, 2009, 11:13 pm

For when I was working on the BWAI Wiki there was a nice help article for starters in the mediawiki page.
You should be able to find it.

NVM, found it: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents
Unofficial Mod Night:
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 15th, 2009, 6:23 am

Okay, haven't slept, spent the night researching wiki extensions. 40 isn't too many, right? =o)

I'm looking at six to add today, giving time to make sure they work okay before piling on anything more. The extensions are a WYSIWYG editor, a code syntax highlighter, a tree view for the sidebar, a breadcrumb trail for pages you've been to, a chatroom, and code to create tabs within a page.
<<

TriggRHappE

Post June 15th, 2009, 7:05 am

Youre amazing. Why Wernt you put in charge of coding SEN over IP? Lol.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 15th, 2009, 8:17 am

BreadCrumbs installed. You should see them when not logged in at the top of a page. When you log in, however, you will not see them until you enable the option under Preferences -> Misc -> Use Breadcrumbs. I'd like to solve this issue by having it default to being on for registered users, but for now that's what it is.

WYSIWYG Editor is installed. When editing a page, click "Rich Editor" above the editing field to load it up. It is incredibly feature-rich, so enjoy! All those unfamiliar with Wiki markup, rejoice!
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 15th, 2009, 8:50 am

Syntax and Code Highligher/Colorizer installed. How to use.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post June 15th, 2009, 9:40 am

Tree view installed. You can see it at the bottom of the sidebar currently.
Next

Return to News