Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Protoss in bunkers!

<<

shadow649

Post September 23rd, 2010, 4:53 pm

Protoss in bunkers!

I'm making the terran bunkers hold 8 or more people (civillians will be supply depots who will give 2-5 supply which will hog space and get raped by psionic storm without it) (also wondering if you can have 8 units in a bunker that can still attack) and since I don't want bunkers to be too powerful for terran I was Wondering If I could make protoss photon cannons (or different buildings) hold dragoons, tassadar templars, and maybe even modified reavers while still allowing them to attack.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 24th, 2010, 5:34 am

Re: Protoss in bunkers!

Yes, bunkers can hold more than 4 units by editing their Space: Provided field in units.dat.

By default, bunkers only allow units flagged as Terran to enter, and they cannot exceed 1 in transport size* (Vulture and Goliath are 2, for instance, and Siege Tank is 4). Furthermore, only the Marine, Firebat, and Ghost unit IDs can fire out from a bunker. All others are ignored.

FireGraft featured a few EXE edits that allowed any race or transport size* to enter a bunker, though I remember DiscipleofAdun running into strange problems when allowing any unit to fire from a bunker.

The latest FireGraft did not include any EXE Edits, however, but folks have been able to recreate some EXE Edits through painstaking offset hunting. As a word of warning, these manual EXE Edits cannot be added to an existing FireGraft mod; instead, you must start a new FireGraft file with the custom EXE Edits loaded up.

You can have any building store units (my mod STF makes liberal use of this with its economy system), but the ability to shoot out from within a building is hardcoded to the bunker. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes with the bunker, such as unique LO* dependencies, which makes it tricky to decipher, let alone replicate.

I would recommend using the bunker as a bunker, and instead make a second building to house SCVs. This approach affords you better control over balance, given modding limitations, as you can edit one without worrying about the reprocussions on the other mechanic.
<<

shadow649

Post September 24th, 2010, 2:29 pm

I had never though of making another bunker for the Civillians... Very good idea!

As for the protoss bunkers I can give the Dragoon units the Gui montag and admiral stukov Unit ID's and just change the attacks and images to match the dragoon? I'll just make the probes build the bunkers. (this brings the question of how to build the buildings eg. can I warp in bunkers for the probes?)

Good thing starcraft has alot of hero terran infantry units I won't use for the terran. I don't know about the custom exe edits and all my problems are pretty much solved without them. Thanks for the help! I don't have much time to test but I have tons (a bit) of time in my classes to plan things. I have a 3 day weekend to start the bulk of my mod!
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 24th, 2010, 7:42 pm

I'd recommend making a quick test map to verify that all the hero Ghosts, Marine, and Firebat can shoot from a bunker. I think they can, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure. If they can, then yes, you could convert them into Protoss units that can fire from a bunker.

Though one thing to note is the Firebat will cause flames to display when he attacks, even if his weapon is not a flamethrower. You might be able to remove this by digging into the bunker's LO* files; just remember the bunker is a picky, mostly-hardcoded tangle to edit.

Warping in a building that is flagged as Terran has a unique bug where it will not complete construction at 99%. Because the game thinks it's a Terran building, it assumes a Terran SCV is building it, and apparently the SCV sends some kind of order to the building at the very end of construction that allows it to finish. You can still finish this incomplete building by ordering an SCV to repair it.

If you uncheck Terran to avoid this bug, you will have the following consequences:

1. The building will not burn down like a normal Terran building.

2. SCVs will refuse to repair it. There was a FireGraft EXE Edit that was supposed to allow Repair to work on any mechanical, but I don't think it ever worked right.

3. When completed or attacked, the advisor sounds (such as "Our base in under attack!") will be Protoss if flagged as Protoss, Zerg if flagged as Zerg, etc.
<<

shadow649

Post September 24th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Guess the bunkers will have to be unrepairable or I could make both races start with scvs and make the requirements for a nexus require a nexus and a command center to require a command center but that would be odd... I know that all terran heroes can use bunkers (I think infested duran was the only exception becuase he is zerg)
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 25th, 2010, 7:44 am

You could sacrifice a starting worker (FireGraft EXE Edit lets you define the ID of each individual starting unit of each race) and give each race an invisible / invincible / unmoveable / unselectable / no-sight / no-sound unit. I did this in STF to give players a starting supply so the Hub (Command Center) wouldn't have to give any.

With this approach, have the Command Center require the Terran special unit and the Nexus require the Protoss special unit.

One thing you'll learn about modding Starcraft is it takes a lot of creativity to work around its limitations, but that challenge is part of the fun.
<<

shadow649

Post September 25th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Had tons of fun swapping random heroes with vultures and siege tanks! I also figured out how to get TBLpad to work :P it's about time I actually tried to get it to work... I figured a couple random things out and am now taking a whole new direction with my mod. Good thing I won't be deleting too much work and didn't waste too much time on it. Now to name everything and list the type of attack (explosive, concussive, normal) with color codes! Maybe putting in some statistical data about range and whatnot.
<<

Fyrinite

Post September 26th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Hercanic wrote:FireGraft featured a few EXE edits that allowed any race or transport size* to enter a bunker, though I remember DiscipleofAdun running into strange problems when allowing any unit to fire from a bunker.

For reference, the trouble was because of the subunits which the Siege Tank and the Goliath have. When they attempted to fire, the game would crash.
~Fy

Return to [ANSWERED]