Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Zerg Voice Effect?

<<

Uriel

Post December 9th, 2009, 2:48 am

Zerg Voice Effect?

I've tried searching this forum, as well as many others with no luck. I'm trying to find any information about editing voices to sound like the Overmind or Cerebrates. I read somewhere that underwater effects are used but are crappy.

Zerg voices sound like a low pitched voice with a higher pitched "goblin-ish" echo. But then there's the sort of raspy-bubblish effect that I don't know how to nail.

Iskatumesk seems like the best candidate for this info.

Personally, I LOVE the Gorgon voice. I plan on making a Zerg Campaign for SC2 with mission briefings and ingame speech from the Overmind. The Gorgon voice sounds damn near perfect for him.

Can you or anybody else shed some light on proper tweaking for a powerful Zerg voice?
<<

bajadulce

Post December 9th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Re: [HELP] Zerg Voice Effect?

Ya He's the king when it comes to manipulating voices and other SFX. If this doesn't get him to respond to you here, then nothing will. 8J

I'll pm him and link him to your post. I'm almost certain he wrote up an extensive guide on the use of audacity to tweak sounds as well.
<<

Uriel

Post December 9th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Thank you for your effort, I hope he does respond.
<<

IskatuMesk

Post December 10th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I didn't get a PM... but Herc linked me, so IT'S ALL GOOD ^_^_^ ^_~

Alright, for starters I use Adobe Audition 1.5. You won't be able to get these kinds of effects in something like Audacity. Goldwave is pretty good, though, if limited compared to Audition.

There is no way easy to explain the years and years of experimenting and stuff that I devoted to voice editing and acting, but I'll try.

All of the flanges I used for my Undead voices and co are totally custom. I used either Deturner or something like that as a basis and just started screwing with values until I got something that sounded cool. To get that kind of "goblin" effect, I usually set the mix delays fairly close together. My primary effect has a difference of 6 between the two delays (20 and then 14). I have a collection of about 50 custom presets I use for voices, but only about 3 do I use consistently.

But here's where the magic comes in.

Stretches, Chorus, and other things can dramatically effect the voice after you edit it with a flange. Especially the "delay" effect. It's a bit much to explain with text, but 90% of those voices were created using the exact same flange, and then a totally different combination of stretches and such. I also sometimes used DirectX effects, particularly Sony ExpressFX stuff. A stretch will totally change how your flange effects the voice. So if you flange before reducing the pitch, it's going to sound totally different (and usually better) than pitching and THEN adding the flange.

There's also reverb. To get that protossy psionic effect, you simply reverse, reverb, reverse, reverb. Totally omg! Of course, it takes tweaking the reverb effects to get that perfect harmony going, but that'll get you on the right track.

I created a Chorus effect similar to the Death Knight in wc2 when I was doing voices for Rommel; that's what gives the Fear its awesome liquidy effect.

And yes, using the default underwater flange is a good way to destroy your sounds.

Also, Dynamics Processing is your friend. You can use it to add depth to your voice.

Central Channel Extractor can be manipulated to give your voice more base. Just... be careful with it. Your sound will need to be stereo, too.
<<

bajadulce

Post December 10th, 2009, 1:00 pm

I didn't get a PM... but Herc linked me, so IT'S ALL GOOD ^_^_^ ^_~
It has been less than 24 hours. Your PM was on my list of about 20 things to do today. it just wasn't at the top. Sorry, but looks like you found it regardless. Promoting other ppls forums such as this one and trying to stir up activity isn't always the highest on ones priorities for a person as busy as myself. I don't see many ppl here extending the same effort either.

why am I even still posting here?
Because WE (the ppl that care about sites like this, will continue to work hard at making this site work!) Otherwise, I'm out of here. I got my own projects to attend to.
<<

Uriel

Post December 10th, 2009, 2:44 pm

awesome! Thanks for all the info.

There is no way easy to explain the years and years of experimenting and stuff that I devoted to voice editing

I understand but at least now I have a good basis of where to start my experimenting. Thanks again guys!
<<

IskatuMesk

Post December 10th, 2009, 2:46 pm

I'm only here because I was posting that article and because Herc linked me this post. That's it. I'm out again. See you guys.

Return to [ANSWERED]