Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Burrowing Ultralisks... (Missing something obvious?)

<<

Greatfrito

Post November 5th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Burrowing Ultralisks... (Missing something obvious?)

Hi. Long time no post (I am easily distracted from projects by other projects).

In short: I'm trying to force Ultralisks to burrow. I've apparently got the mechanics of all of this down, but instead of turning into a "burrow hole" while burrowed, they appear as... well, some funky pose. However, their selection circles drop to normal "burrow hole" size.

So, I'm... Okay, I would like to have them use lurker-sized "burrow holes" while burrowed. I'm completely unsure of how to go about doing this.

Is it possible to just add new frames to the ultralisk .grp? If so, can I just tack the "big burrow hole" from the lurker's .grp onto the end of the ultralisk's list? (I'm fairly certain I -have- done this, which leads me to my second question...)

If so, then... how do you call that specific image / frame / whatever for when the Ultralisk is burrowed?

If anyone knows of any other mods where someone has made burrowing ultralisks, maybe pointing me in that direction would be enough.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 5th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Re: Burrowing Ultralisks... (Missing something obvious?)

It's all in the iscript. Look at the Ultralisk's iscript, especially the Burrowing animation. (Assuming it has one.) You'll need to add some sigorder to the end of the Ultralisk's burrowing animation. I don't remember which one but you can look at the Zergling's burrow animation and see which sigorder to use.
<<

Greatfrito

Post November 5th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Oh no, see, I can get them to -burrow- (and I can deal with the animation being "ultralisk attacks nothing" for now, until I can put some burrowing animations together), but I don't know how to call specific frames (like the iscripts themselves normally do), or really how to even tell which frames are what number (unless they're already used in the iscript).

Sorta unrelated, but: how does one make Zerglings morph into other units (like the mutalisk -> guardian morph, or hydralisk -> lurker morph)? I've added the button, played with the requisite conditions (to include "Current Unit is... Zergling"), and yet the buttons are still grayed-out and useless.
Off-topic.
Last edited by Greatfrito on November 6th, 2009, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post November 6th, 2009, 6:29 am

Look at the Zergling's iscript yourself. Check the burrow animation. If you don't find your answer after examining the Zergling's burrow animation, check here:
Spoiler: show
"playfram #" substituting "#" with the desired frame number

If you checked the animation yourself, you now know how to do all effects done with iscript ever (i.e. find an example, imitate, learn the technique).

FireGraft "EXE Edits" might be able to help you out. I can't since I've never tried making an unmorphing unit morph. I hear it's difficult and stupid even when done correctly. I have never bothered to annoy myself with those quirks. By the way, in context, this topic is completely unrelated to the previous topic, not "sorta unrelated."
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post November 6th, 2009, 10:44 am

So you /do/ have the sigorder already?

Anyway. How to call a frameset:

Find the first frame in the frameset and divide the number by 17. Then, convert the number to hex if it's bigger than 9. Then, take the number you found and multiply by 11. Then, go "playfram 0x<whatever>".

So, if the frameset I want to call starts with frame 187, I'd divide by 17 and get 11. 11 is b in hex. Multiplying by 11 gives me bb. So, I'd use "playfram 0xbb" to call a frameset starting with frame 187.

Somewhat off-topic, but I'd use PyGRP if I were you. Dunno if you already are, but it's a lot easier to use than other converters, at least for me.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post November 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Frame sets are not required in burrowing animations.
<<

Greatfrito

Post November 6th, 2009, 5:05 pm

TassadarZeratul wrote:So you /do/ have the sigorder already?

Anyway. How to call a frameset:

Find the first frame in the frameset and divide the number by 17. Then, convert the number to hex if it's bigger than 9. Then, take the number you found and multiply by 11. Then, go "playfram 0x<whatever>".

So, if the frameset I want to call starts with frame 187, I'd divide by 17 and get 11. 11 is b in hex. Multiplying by 11 gives me bb. So, I'd use "playfram 0xbb" to call a frameset starting with frame 187.

Somewhat off-topic, but I'd use PyGRP if I were you. Dunno if you already are, but it's a lot easier to use than other converters, at least for me.

Thank you, this was exactly what I needed.

I ran into a bit of a pain trying to add frames to the -end- of the ultralisk's full set - I'm not sure though if that was caused by having more frames than it originally did, or if I made some other error. To solve it, I simply replaced another animation somewhere with the lurker's hole, and changed the calls in the script.

I'm using retrogrp, and it seems to be working okay for now, but if I run into problems I'll definitely try out PyGRP.

The morph-thing was really a whole 'nother question, so (if possible) I'll edit it out of this thread, and put it in another. This question is Answered. :D
<<

IskatuMesk

Post November 6th, 2009, 5:09 pm

If you add frames to the Ultralisk grp you will also need to add frames to the shadow. Otherwise, kaboom goes SC.

Why am I still posting on this forum? :\

From Hercanic: Because modding is in your blood, my friend.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post November 7th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Doesn't the shadow use the same *.GRP but with the shadow palette?

Ah, but wait: that only applies to air units.

Return to [ANSWERED]