Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Noob Here w/ Questions

<<

Rawb

Post September 18th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Noob Here w/ Questions

I used to mod back around 1.07ish and have recently gotten back into it. I've been using Starcraft 1.16.1, along with DatEdit and FG1.16.1 and am familiar with both programs and how to use them.

The problem is that there are a few things that they can't do that I'd like to try:
  • The first of these is something that I've asked about other places. I want certain Zerg Units to be able to morph into their Hero counterparts. Namely the Zergling, Hydralisk, Mutalisk, Guardian, and Ultralisk. I can get the buttons to appear on the correct units and to properly grey out/activate, but I can't get them to do anything when you click it!
  • The second is something I just thought about while looking over the GPTP: I would like Zerg units to regen health faster than normal. I have a mod where many units, including some from Terran and Protoss can regen health. But I'd like the Zerg to to it 2-3 times as fast.
Both of these things seem like something you could do with GPTP, but I'm completely unfamiliar with how to code in it! Can I get some help on these issues and general tutorial-like info on GPTP programming?
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 18th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Re: Noob Here w/ Questions

Zerg morphing isn't working because, since 1.14 or so, Blizzard fixed a morphing exploit that effectively disallows morphing for anything other than the default. FireGraft 1.15.1 has an EXE Edit that removes this restriction. To hunt for the offsets and create your own EXE Edit for 1.16.1, follow Mauron's guide.

For a guide on writing plugins, be sure to browse the Plugin forum. Broodkiller has written one.
<<

Rawb

Post September 18th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Unfortunately, I can't find the EXE edit used because my Starcraft doesn't go below 1.15.2 (I got a digital copy from Blizzard and it came "pre-updated" to 1.15.2).

Also, thanks for pointing me to Broodkiller's guide! I'm looking over it now but have already run into a problem. . .

Let's say I want to try his energy modifications (if a unit has less than 50 energy, add 10 otherwise subtract 1). Where, in GPTP would I put the code snipits? I've also looked through some of the other [EXAMPLE] posts and, if I can figure out where to put the code, should have enough to get started playing around.
<<

Mauron

Post September 19th, 2009, 7:37 am

According to my notes, that one has been updated already.

If it's not in the data.mpq attached to the first post in that topic, it will be in the next few days.

Note that when doing this the first time, you'll have to restart the FireGraft portion of your project. I've configured my data.mpq to avoid this issue, but the default one has it.
<<

Rawb

Post September 19th, 2009, 9:34 am

@Mauron: Wow, I totally missed that attached file. . . Thanks!

I'm still running into problems with GPTP: I've tried a couple of the examples and they don't do anything except cause the game to crash as soon as you start a map. :(
<<

Mauron

Post September 19th, 2009, 10:13 am

No problem. I'll make sure the attached file is displayed more prominently when I update it.

What have you done with the example plugins?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post September 19th, 2009, 11:22 am

Those example plugins are written for 1.15.1. Running a plugin on the wrong patch = crash. You'll need to downgrade.
<<

Rawb

Post September 19th, 2009, 2:43 pm

@TasadarZeratul: Phooey :( Guess I'll have to see what I can do on my own then since I can't downgrade my Starcraft. Besides, from the way the code looked, it seems to me that it should work with any version of Starcraft that GPTP supports. . .

@Mauron: I wouldn't worry too much about making sure that file's displayed more prominently. I just was skimming and missed it since I wasn't familiar with how this board handles attachments.

Now for my next issue! I've gotten Firegraft updated with the new data.mpq and the EXE edits tab is now useable. However, for some reason the game always crashes when I try to make a regular Zergling morph into Hero Zergling (Unclean One). The strange part is that I've gotten the Hero Morph to work with both the Mutalisk and Hydralisk. I think it has something to do with the fact that I had to create a new Button Set for the Zergling, whereas I could just add a button to the existing Hydralisk and Mutalisk button sets.

Is there any way I can work around this issue (or just plain fix it)?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post September 19th, 2009, 3:30 pm

It's an iscript issue. Ling doesn't have the morph animation. (I think the morph animation is SpecialState1, but I'm not sure. Look at the muta iscript.)
<<

Rawb

Post September 19th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Apparently I was wrong with my earlier post.

It seems that the problem isn't with the Devouring Ones (I called them Unclean Ones in my earlier post, but I meant the Devouring Ones). The problem is, in fact, with Starcraft itself. Only one of the units can be made to Morph into it's Hero form. If the first one I set up is the Hydralisk to Hunter Killer morph, that's the one that works. If it's Mutalisk to Kukulza that I set up first, then that one works. And if I set up Zergling to Devouring One first, that's the one that works. However, once the first one is set up, any others I add will cause the game to crash! :/

I'll keep working on it, but I may have to just admit defeat on this one and live with a single Hero Unit :(

Return to [ANSWERED]