Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Terran Cloak Generator...

<<

Taligaro

Post September 6th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Terran Cloak Generator...

Okay, here is what I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to remember how I created a 'new' Terran building from 7 years ago, from a mod I never finished or released.

It's a Cloak Generator and it used the unused Cantina special building with the BASE graphic of the Missile Turret. IE the Turret part that spins on the Missile Turret wasn't placed on the Cloak Generator. It was a 2x2(ingame) building like the Turret and I had gotten it to be build by the SCV from the Advanced Building tab, and it would cloak all Terran units and buildings around it except for itself and other Cloak Generators. (the idea came from NOD Disruption Towers in C&C games, lol)

I'm using the special building "[181] Cantina (Unused)"
So far in DatEdit here is what I've done...
Units Tab:
(Note: Image is an animated GIF with about 10 seconds between frames[6 frames so 60seconds], this was easier then uploading and posting several images)

For the life of me, this is all I can remember of what I did 7 years ago. ><

I've been racking my brain for the last month trying to remember exactly what I did, but it was 7 years ago and I don't have any of the files from the mod I started back then. ><

So I guess I'm asking for some help in re-creating what I created back then, lol.

I'm using SCBW 1.15.1 with DatEdit v1.5d, Firegraft v0.93, WinMPQ, MPQDraft, and IceCC programs. Firegraft is new to me but rather simple to understand, when it comes to the buttons anyway.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 6th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Re: [Help!] Terran Cloak Generator...

Cloak range is based on the range of its weapon. Initiating the cloak is controlled by the unit AI (units.dat) that the Arbiter is set to. Making buildings cloakable is a FireGraft EXE edit.
<<

AofST

Post September 7th, 2009, 8:13 am

During my work on Temptation, I found that only the arbiter can cloak other units. The hero doesn't cloak units even with the same orders as the regular arbiter.
Support my new site:
http://ideabirth.co.cc/
<<

X1Alpha

Post September 7th, 2009, 11:28 am

i too once made a building cloak others, and it was several years ago; so i went out on a hunch i used dat files from version 1.07 and i made the supply depot cloak others, and sure enough it worked... therefor the problem is not in you but your version of starcraft

(note: the depot has no weapon and the cloaking field functions as an arbiters)
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 7th, 2009, 2:57 pm

In older versions of Starcraft, cloaking worked without a weapon because of the offset order. When Starcraft could not find a weapon, it defaulted to the next offset, which was sight range in older versions of SC. Since then, some offsets have been moved around. Now, when a unit does not have an air weapon, the offset it defaults to does not have a valid number, thus it doesn't work.

AofST wrote:During my work on Temptation, I found that only the arbiter can cloak other units. The hero doesn't cloak units even with the same orders as the regular arbiter.

You must have done something wrong then. Have a look, I made a quick test mod to demonstrate. Both the Marine and Missile Turret cloak units and buildings.
Attachments
MarineArbiterCloak.rar
Play 1.15.1 as Terran. Build Marines and Missile Turrets to see area-cloak working on a unit and a building.
(114.83 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
<<

Mauron

Post September 10th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Hercanic wrote:In older versions of Starcraft, cloaking worked without a weapon because of the offset order. When Starcraft could not find a weapon, it defaulted to the next offset, which was sight range in older versions of SC. Since then, some offsets have been moved around. Now, when a unit does not have an air weapon, the offset it defaults to does not have a valid number, thus it doesn't work.

Do you know anymore details on how that old method worked? My curiosity and urge to do what can't be done have struck.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 12th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Back in the day, it was assumed Sight Range determined area-cloak range. In the original STF, I had two units that made use of area-cloak: Camouflage Netting (building) for the Humans, and the UFO (unit) for the Observers. At patch 1.14 (I think), I updated STF and found neither of these two units cloaked anymore. I noticed the UFO would briefly cloak something directly under it, so obviously cloaking was still working at a miniscule range (1 or 0 -- I say 0 because even zero sight range actually registers a tiny bit with Starcraft, though you cannot actually see it). Talking with DiscipleOfAdun (aka Fyrinite), he found it was actually the air weapon's range that was used by area-cloak, not sight range as previously believed. Every patch, offsets get moved around by Blizzard, which is why FireGraft is version-dependent. After patch 1.14, either sight range or the area-cloak offset was moved, causing the offset it would default to when no air weapon is present to no longer be sight range.

Aside from this anecdote, I don't have any specific information (like the offset addresses, if that's what you're looking for). Fyrinite would know more.
<<

Mauron

Post September 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Unfortunately I'd need to see the code that handles area-cloak, if I want to be able to change it.
<<

Taligaro

Post September 14th, 2009, 8:27 pm

For the moment, I'm having trouble actually getting the building itself to actually work, let alone the area cloaking. I'm going to hold off on this part and try to work out some of the more simple problems I have, lol.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post September 18th, 2009, 11:21 pm

When you come back to it, just give your building an air weapon that does 0 damage and set its range to however wide you need area-cloak to be.
<<

AngelSpirit

Post December 10th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Re: Terran Cloak Generator...

Believe it or not, this can actually be done without modding.

EDIT: Just checked the last post date. Sorry for necroing.
SUP.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post December 10th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Explain.
<<

AngelSpirit

Post December 11th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Before I tell you how to attain the 'cloak field' effect for any building WITHOUT modding, you should be aware of its disadvantages:
1. A 'cloak field' must be placed for each building that you want.
2. Cloak fields are permanent- you cannot move, remove, or create them, only preplace them (I think)
3. Each 'cloak field' takes up one unit.
4. The range of the effect cannot be changed.
5. This uses extended units, so it'll only work for patch 1.16.1, I believe.

Anyway, moving on:

1. Open SCMDraft2 or StarForge, and place any unit, anywhere on the map. The cloak field acts like an arbiter's, so place the unit for the player you want the cloak effect for.
2. Open its properties.
3. Change its unit ID to 4136.
4. Done. Save the map, test, and watch as any units brought close cloak, and decloak when they are moved out.

How it works(unsure of this):
Unit ID #4136 is, more or less, an invisible(not cloaked, INVISIBLE), unselectable, non-attacking arbiter. It will cloak any units that are in range of its area. The only exceptions are arbiters themselves, and of course, the hero counterpart Danimoth.
SUP.
<<

Hydrolisk

Post December 11th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Idea:

Write a plug-in that sets the unit ID of a Marine to 4136. Get cracking TZ, I want to see if it works.
<<

AngelSpirit

Post December 12th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Hydrolisk wrote:Idea:

Write a plug-in that sets the unit ID of a Marine to 4136. Get cracking TZ, I want to see if it works.

That won't work. Here's why:

When you click on an extended unit , the game crashes because it cannot find the portrait or wireframe for the unit. Now, since UnitID #4136 is unselectable, that normally wouldn't be a problem.

However, if the player has a marine selected, and you change that marine's unitID to 4136, the player will still have it selected, causing the game to crash.
SUP.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post December 12th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Silly Hydro, you can just cloak the units near the marine by using the secondary order thingy. No need for messing with the unit ID.
<<

Fyrinite

Post December 13th, 2009, 3:35 am

Extended Units are just semi-controlled buffer overflows, so it's impossible to determine all the effects they truly have, so I wouldn't use them. Use more controllable methods, or adapt the modification to exist within known limits.

And now that we've necro'd this thread to death...let's let it re-die.
~Fy
<<

Scourgesplitter

Post January 14th, 2010, 4:42 am

I may be a bit late (looking as how it's 2010 allready, but I now find out that (when using SC:BW patch 1.15.1) it's the AIR WEAPON that allows the cloak to work?

That would explain a great deal of problems really.

Reasons:
I tried making a different unit cloak others (to know: Reaver) and it had a ground weapon besides the Scarabs, and no cloaking happened.
I shall try this out with the air weapon and see if it works then.

I must say however, thanks for this detailed insight.
Previously I knew it had to do with a weapon, but when I did try that (see above) I was stumbed it still failed. At least now I know.

Btw, If I read this right, the range of the weapon tells the cloaking-aera yes?
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post January 14th, 2010, 5:48 am

Yep. The range of the unit's air weapon defines cloak range.

Return to [ANSWERED]