Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

A small list of questions

<<

X1Alpha

Post September 5th, 2009, 8:35 pm

A small list of questions

Hello, ill make this short: I'm new to the community here, however ive been modding SC for quite some time now. As in all other "arts" there will always be some one better and it would be rash for me not to ask for assistance and information. So, if you could please answer my queries below, id be very grateful.

Also as a side note, i use SC:BW version 1.15 for my modding; and at the time of writing this i have no knowledge of how to make plugins.

=Iscript
-Is it entirely possible to give a hero unit its own set of headers and iscript commands without changing its graphic from the original in dat edit (ex Hero rine still looks like rine but has its own custom iscript)?

=Plugins
-Is its possible to generate a new supply or resource type through the use of plugins (one that can be called upon ingame)?
-Do plugins have the ability to recognize and track individual units status (If yes, would an expirance system be possible?)
-Can plugins recognize (and distinguish between) chat text and combination keystrokes (or words not typed into chat)?
-Can plugins draw information from and write information to currently active subroutines (Such as an AI's)?
-Is there a database that contains a list and explanation of the commands for plugins?
-Can plugins generate random variations of a unit without using another unit at all (no 2 soldier is going to prefeer the same gun)?

=Triggers/Got files
-Does meelee.trg hold the triggers for both melee and free for all?
-Also can someone elaborate on how this process works, as I can only seem to get the melee game type to use custom triggers in my mods (I’m trying for melee, free for all, and Top vs. Bottom)?
-From what ive seen triggers can be replace entirely by plugins; am i right to assume this?

=Aiscript
-PyAI says it can "jump from one script to another", can you explain this to me or should I go to BWAI for a more in-depth explanation?
-In correlation with plugins and text; can an AI be made to respond to the words typed in chat (in an effort to give it commands)?

=Misc
-i had once made the CC and depots give off a psi field, with the depots requiring psi to be built (in an effort to copy the game perimeter); is it still possible with the current tools? (i did this about 6 years ago if i remember correctly)
<<

KooKsTeR

Post September 5th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Re: A small list of questions

=Iscript
you would have to give it its own iscript.

=Misc
yes it is possible, just use datedit. Select Terran Supply depot. Select the advanced tab. Click requires Psi. Go to Ai actions tab. Set computer Idle and Human Idle to: Script (PSI Provider) do only this step for the command center. By doing this your command center and supply depo will produce the psi field, but only the supply depo will require it.
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post September 6th, 2009, 10:09 am

Also as a side note, i use SC:BW version 1.15 for my modding; and at the time of writing this i have no knowledge of how to make plugins.

I'd recommend using 1.15.1; I don't know how to make plugins for 1.15 so I can't help you there if you use 1.15. :O

-Is it entirely possible to give a hero unit its own set of headers and iscript commands without changing its graphic from the original in dat edit (ex Hero rine still looks like rine but has its own custom iscript)?

Make the hero Marine use a different graphic and set that graphic to use the default marine GRP.

-Is its possible to generate a new supply or resource type through the use of plugins (one that can be called upon ingame)?

Yes. It would be difficult but possible. (How will the new resource be gathered? Is it mined or obtained some other way? If the later, it should be much easier.)

-Do plugins have the ability to recognize and track individual units status (If yes, would an expirance system be possible?)

An experience system is possible. However, you can't simply raise a unit's damage. You can, however, lower a unit's cooldown based on it's kills or something.

-Can plugins recognize (and distinguish between) chat text and combination keystrokes (or words not typed into chat)?

Detecting chat is possible but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Detecting keystrokes is very difficult if you don't want desyncs (which you don't).

-Can plugins draw information from and write information to currently active subroutines (Such as an AI's)?

More information please.

-Is there a database that contains a list and explanation of the commands for plugins?

Yes; get GPTP and look at units.h and units.cpp. (You should probably look at the other files, too.)

-Can plugins generate random variations of a unit without using another unit at all (no 2 soldier is going to prefeer the same gun)?

What exactly do you mean by this? If I understand you correctly, not really.

-i had once made the CC and depots give off a psi field, with the depots requiring psi to be built (in an effort to copy the game perimeter); is it still possible with the current tools? (i did this about 6 years ago if i remember correctly)

Polaris tried to do something like this and it crashed when you built two of the PSI field provider. I think PSI fields are partially hardcoded (as is creep, btw.)
<<

poiuy qwert

Post September 6th, 2009, 10:48 am

X1Alpha wrote:=Plugins

Anything is possible with plugins, its just a matter of the persons skill in C++ and debugging/reverse engineering.

X1Alpha wrote:=Aiscript
1) PyAI says it can "jump from one script to another", can you explain this to me or should I go to BWAI for a more in-depth explanation?
2) In correlation with plugins and text; can an AI be made to respond to the words typed in chat (in an effort to give it commands)?

1) The answer can be found on the PyAI page of PyMS's readme, which can be found online. For a quick explanation, you use "AIID:Block" where AIID is the scripts id (like PMCx or Ter3), and Block is the name of the block in the script.
2) Yes (see above :P)
<<

Hydrolisk

Post September 6th, 2009, 11:30 am

X1Alpha wrote:-Can plugins generate random variations of a unit without using another unit at all (no 2 soldier is going to prefeer the same gun)?

An example plug-in might use a unit loop with a boolean array in combination with a units.DAT edit giving the Marine 20 Shields. The boolean array would have a size of [1700], and the loop would check if a unit is a Marine. If it is, check if its array slot is 0 or 1. If it is 0, then flip to 1 and generate a random boolean value. If 0, set shields to 0. If 1, set shields to 20.

And then I would work in something to detect if the Marine has already spawned at full shields. Something like that would be possible.

But yea, as poiuy_qwert stated, anything is possible with plug-ins. It would be a lot easier if Blizzard released SC's source code though.
<<

X1Alpha

Post September 6th, 2009, 12:37 pm

TassadarZeratul wrote:Yes. It would be difficult but possible. (How will the new resource be gathered? Is it mined or obtained some other way? If the later, it should be much easier.)

One resource gathered over time (Think defcon - so i can prolong game enders and late tech until a certain time ingame)
One gathered through kills (This would force players into armed conflict to gain access to certain tech and units)
One for time spent allied to another player of a certain race (Think shared technology level)
One gained for commanding a certain # of units and/or buildings (i'd like to add an upkeep, however id also like to get rid of the existing supply system)
etc

TassadarZeratul wrote:Detecting chat is possible but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Detecting keystrokes is very difficult if you don't want desyncs (which you don't).

good to know, i guess ill have to experiment with this later

TassadarZeratul wrote:More information please

This is in correlation to plugins detecting chat, i want to know if plugins can right to ai script that are currently active. If yes then it should be entirely possible to make AI's that can respond to ingame input (Taunts, be commanded, and take advantage of the perks of allying players; maybe even backstabbing)

TassadarZeratul wrote:What exactly do you mean by this? If I understand you correctly, not really

I want to make units unique, without trying to wasting unit slots in both dat edit and firegraft; so i want to know if they can create units with slight variations of weapons, and armor types without it being a different unit (ex you build 3 marines, one has a machine gun and normal armor, another has a shotgun and heavy armor, and the last one has a sniper rifle and light armor)

TassadarZeratul wrote:Polaris tried to do something like this and it crashed when you built two of the PSI field provider. I think PSI fields are partially hardcoded (as is creep, btw.)

Really? when i had it working, it worked fine, its just desynced a few times when i played on b.net with my friends (seemed proportional to the number of computer players)

poiuy qwert wrote:Anything is possible with plugins, its just a matter of the persons skill in C++ and debugging/reverse engineering

Can it even make mods server-side?
<<

poiuy qwert

Post September 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm

X1Alpha wrote:
poiuy qwert wrote:Anything is possible with plugins, its just a matter of the persons skill in C++ and debugging/reverse engineering

I dunno what your definition of anything is, but where I live anything means anything. For a longer answer, your example would be only half plugin related, you would obviously need a custom modified server (and yes, that is also possible).
This was generated by a program of mine that had a bug. I thought it was pretty crazy.
BroodWarAI.com (Forums) | PyMS (Forums) | LocUnlock
<<

X1Alpha

Post September 6th, 2009, 4:23 pm

poiuy qwert wrote:
X1Alpha wrote:

I dunno what your definition of anything is, but where I live anything means anything. For a longer answer, your example would be only half plugin related, you would obviously need a custom modified server (and yes, that is also possible).

Server-side mod: All data files are run off the host of the individual game (very common in fps game, only RTS games ive seen have it are Spring and Homeworld 2 using forced LAN)

Well im already working on a VPN, so if i can learn plugins (im having some trouble trying to rap my head around it all) i might be able to set something up, unless they release the source code for SC which would speed up everything.

Return to [ANSWERED]