Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Possible to make variations of the same unit?

<<

Xirix

Post August 21st, 2009, 12:23 pm

Possible to make variations of the same unit?

I've got a few Unit ideas in mind for my Campaign, but I think I may have too many.

Is it possible to say, have a Barracks be able to make normal marines, and marines with shields for instance, but without having to use Jim Raynor? If so, what program should I start looking into?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 21st, 2009, 12:42 pm

Re: Possible to make variations of the same unit?

You'll need plugins. Get GTPT and look at the example plugins in the Plugins section. You should be able to figure it out; if not I'll be more than happy to help.
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 22nd, 2009, 7:37 am

Well, I am not 100% sure that I get what you want. Do you want the Barracks to randomly train one variation of the unit? Or maybe create different kinds of marines?
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 23rd, 2009, 9:20 pm

TZ, he's not asking for anything that complex.

Xirix, from what I gather, you want to have a second type of Marine buildable from the Barracks who has shields.

Starcraft modding is often done through replacement. What you replace, though, is often very flexible. Creating a second Marine with shields would be simple, and you needn't use Jim. Using a DAT editor like DatEdit or PyMS, use the Copy command on the Marine, pick an unused Units.dat entry, and paste the Marine data. This will set the unused entry to use the Marine's Iscript animations, GRP graphics, sounds, portrait, everything. At this point, feel free to give this new marine his shields.

The only part left is now is allowing the Barracks to build the new Shield Marine and creating the button for it. This will be done with FireGraft. Are you familiar with FG?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 23rd, 2009, 9:39 pm

but without having to use Jim Raynor

I interpreted this as "but still having the unit be the normal Marine". If this isn't what you meant, then Hercanic's method would work fine.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 23rd, 2009, 10:32 pm

Right, but given he seems to be pretty new to modding, I'm guessing the Jim comment was from a mapping perspective.

Return to [ANSWERED]