Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

Mission Intro Text

<<

Xirix

Post August 10th, 2009, 7:57 am

Mission Intro Text

I was suggested to this forum to see if it's possible to do what I wish to do in a campaign I'm currently writing up.

In the campaign of Starcraft and Broodwar there were usually two screens before the mission briefing, a black screen with green text telling the story, followed by a timed wallpaper picture with the mission's name, and description of what planet you're currently on.

I was wondering if through any methods these two things can be made? I'm hoping to make my campaign as pretty as possible.

Thanks
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 10th, 2009, 10:37 am

Re: Mission Intro Text

Uh, there used to be a tutorial at CC.org explaining how to do this. I think have it saved somewhere from the old days though. Wait a sec...hmm...ah! There ya go:

http://pastebin.com/m6587ba43

It will stay there for some time, but not forever, so you'd best just save it somewhere.
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

Xirix

Post August 10th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Consider it saved, thank you very much, I was worried that it wouldn't be possible.

Though forgive my ignorance, but how do you add the edited Intros and Splash Screens once they're all nice and edited into a custom made campaign? It's been a while since I used Starcraft modding tools, and since there's quite a lot of them, it's a little daunting to get back into it.
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post August 10th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Are you wanting to know how you can replace the default Starcraft and Broodwar spash and backstory screens? Or are you asking whether it's possible for a campaign to have its own? If the latter, as far as I know, it's not (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You'd need to replace the default campaigns with a mod.

Code:
The splash screen pcx files are on the CD in the Install.exe. The files which tell Starcraft what text to overlay on the splash screens are the rez\Est*##.txt files. Remember to use a 640x480 pcx file. Got it? Good. I'll assume that you can already replace those files successfully on your own (its done just like replacing any other file in a CWAD).

Now, I'll just quickly explain how to format those rez\Est*##.txt text files to get the effects you want displayed on top of your splash screens. When you open one up, it might look something like this (without the colors of course):

</COMMENT Establishing Shot for Protoss Level 1>

</FADESPEED 100>
</DISPLAYTIME 22000>

</COMMENT #####################################>
</BACKGROUND glue\palpa\Blank.pcx>
</FONTCOLOR glue\palpa\tfont.pcx>

</SCREENLEFT>
PROTOSS CAMPAIGN: THE FALL

The Zerg Overmind has succeeded in invading the Protoss Homeworld of Aiur and has embedded itself into the crust of the planet.

Now, as the agents of the sinister Overmind spread chaos and destruction across the face of Aiur, the stalwart Protoss defenders prepare themselves for the coming onslaught.
</PAGE>

</COMMENT #####################################>
</DISPLAYTIME 5000>
</BACKGROUND glue\palpa\ProtossA.pcx>
</FONTCOLOR glue\palpa\tfont.pcx>

</SCREENLOWERLEFT>
"FIRST STRIKE"

Citadel of the new Protoss Executor
Two days after the Zerg invasion
</PAGE>

If you look at it carefully, it really isn't that hard to figure out, especially if you are already familiar with a markup language like HTML. Basically, each of the "tags" in red act like commands that tell Starcraft certain things to do -- how to format the splash screen, if you will. Here's a break down of what each one does, and how to place it in its appropriate format:

</COMMENT XXXXXXX> - This is just like a Comment action in a trigger or <!-- XXXXXXX--> in HTML. It does nothing to the actual splash screen, it just makes a "comment" to the reader of the text file. You probably only need to put one if you think you'll forget what the file is for later and want to leave a little note for yourself. You can put these anywhere in the text file.

</FADESPEED XXXXX> - This tag determines how long it takes the splash screen to "fade-in." XXXXX is measured in milliseconds. you should place this tag at the top.

</DISPLAYTIME XXXXX> - This tag determines how long to display the splash screen before moving on. The player can always just skip it by clicking. Again, XXXXX is in milliseconds. You should place this just after the </FADESPEED XXXXX> tag.Think of </FADESPEED XXXXX> and </DISPLAYTIME XXXXX> as the "header" of the text file (like the <HEAD> tag in HTML).

</BACKGROUND XXXXX> - This tag determines what background pcx file will be used for this splash screen. The XXXXX is the location of the pcx file in the MPQ. I.E., glue\palpa\ProtossA.pcx is the location of the splash screen for the first Protoss mission. You should place this tag after the "header" part above and before the actual text.

</FONTCOLOR XXXXX> - This tag determines the palette file (which is also a pcx) to use for the font color. The XXXXX corresponds to the pcx palette location in the MPQ. You should use the tfont.pcx file that is in the same directory as your splash screen background image. I.E., for glue\palpa\ProtossA.pcx, you'd use glue\palpa\tfont.pcx. This tfont.pcx file works just like others for the game splash screens (more info here). You should place this tag after the "header" part above and before the actual text.

</SCREENLEFT> - This tag means "align the text to center-left." Basically, it will center your text vertically on the screen. Place this just before your text.

</SCREENLOWERLEFT> - This is just like the </SCREENLEFT> tag but will align your text at the bottom of the screen instead of middle. Place this just before your text.

</SCREENRIGHT> - Align your text to the right. Place this just before your text.

</SCREENCENTER> - Align your text in the center. Place this just before your text.

</SCREENBOTTOM> - Align your text at the bottom. Place this just before your text.

</SCREENTOP> - Align your text at the top. Place this just before your text.

</PAGE> - This tag determines the end of one splash screen. Place it at the end of your text.

Now, your actual text that you want displayed goes between the </SCREEN*****> tag and the </PAGE> tag. Just like the example above. If you don't really feel like doing much work, all you really need to do is open up the current text files and edit the stuff you want.

Keep in mind that is is possible to display more than one splash screen (as in the example above). This means that you can control the number of screens that are displayed before each mission. Also, if you omit new </BACKGROUND> and </FONT> tags after you have ended a "page" with </PAGE>, then any new text will be displayed on the same background without change (like on the credits screen). The tags are pretty flexible, so feel free to experiment to try to get your desired results.

Here are a couple more of the rez\Est*##.txt-type files that are in the Broodat.mpq that you probably want to know about. They are not named in the same format, but they are formatted internally just like the above.

* rez\crdt_lst.txt - The Game Credits.
    * rez\epilog.txt - Epilog for original Starcraft.
    * rez\epilogX.txt - Epilog for Starcraft Broodwar.

And, that should be it. Just to make this "All about Splash Screens" article complete, I'll go ahead and give you the locations of all the other (non-mission) splash screens you might want to edit also:

* glue\PalMm\Backgnd.pcx - Main Menu (with the Single Player, Multiplayer, Staredit, and Exit icons)
    * glue\PalINI\Backgnd.pcx - Other menus such as the Character selection menu.
    * glue\PalPd\Backgnd.pcx - Protoss Defeat screen.
    * glue\PalTd\Backgnd.pcx - Terran Defeat screen.
    * glue\PalPz\Backgnd.pcx - Zerg Defeat screen.
    * glue\PalPv\Backgnd.pcx - Protoss Victory screen.
    * glue\PalTv\Backgnd.pcx - Terran Victory screen.
    * glue\PalPz\Backgnd.pcx - Zerg Victory screen.
    * glue\PalRp\Backgnd.pcx - Protoss Ready Room. (Breifing screen)
    * glue\PalRt\Backgnd.pcx - Terran Ready Room. (Breifing screen)
    * glue\PalRz\Backgnd.pcx - Zerg Ready Room. (Breifing screen)
    * glue\title\title.pcx - Loading screen. (the one with Kerrigan's ugly mug =)

There are others (like for Battle.net and stuff), but you have to be pretty cumpulsive to edit all of them. So, I leave it up to you if you want to find more. =)

Saved for posterity.
<<

BroodKiller

Post August 11th, 2009, 1:48 am

As far as I remember Herc is correct: it is not possible to have a custom campaign (run through the "Play Custom" feature) to have it's own splash screens. These are reserved for the default SC and BW campaigns.
Clean...simple...devious. I like it.
<<

Xirix

Post August 21st, 2009, 12:20 pm

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.. so I need to change the actual campaign with a mod? Hooray for more stuff I haven't a clue how to do, heh.

My Campaign is only Six missions long, does it matter if you can't replace every mission in the original campaign for the purposes of editing the things I want changed?
<<

TassadarZeratul

Post August 21st, 2009, 12:43 pm

I believe that will matter.

Return to [ANSWERED]