Site  •  Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Login

creating units as terran buildings

<<

MrGrey

Post November 3rd, 2010, 9:56 am

creating units as terran buildings

Yeah, I know that SC2 now rules, but when I was dusing my HDD a week ago, I've found pieces of my unfinished SC mod (GrayCraft). I don't like to leave my work unfinished, so I started over new build of my mod (from scratch) to fit it in more elegant form, with the same set of tools (Datedit 1.5d, FG 0.93, TblPad & WinMPQ).

What's my problem? Well, I can't replicate 'create unit' trick. in old build I've figured how to make one terran unit able to build another:
- FireGraft: progenitor unit has to be added in requirement/order of build1 order
- FireGraft: created unit must have in its requirement/unit sequence: "Current unit is.../[progenitor unit]/additional condtions
- FireGraft: certain buttons should be added (progenitor unit: Requirement: Can Create Unit/Building [created unit], Action: Create Building - Terran [created unit])

It's still working in old one, but when I try apply this method in my new build, it unevitably causes crash.
ID entries in units.dat in both builds are the same, just as mentioned parts in firegraft piece. Any ideas what I do wrong?
<<

MrGrey

Post November 9th, 2010, 9:56 am

Re: creating units as terran buildings

Well, I,ve just found that I accidentally skipped one part of iscript. Sorry for messing on board ;)

BTW is there way to link unused tech to weapon in datedit/firegraft to make alternative fire mode using energy (without replacing existing spells)?
<<

Hercanic

Site Admin

Post November 13th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Re: creating units as terran buildings

Glad you were able to discover the error on your own.

Linked in what way? Research, damage, or changing what weapon a tech is associated with? I'm guessing you mean that last one.

There is no traditional way to link unused tech to a weapon of your choice, let along changing a used tech to a different weapon (if it even directs to a weapon, such as Heal, Stim Pack, or Cloak). It's all in the EXE, not the DAT files or other easily-editable external files. If memory serves correct, back in the day there was a very advanced way to do it using ASM, but ASM is purely client-side and thus not multiplayer-friendly.

The only alternative, then, would be plugin coding.

Return to Help!